Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sprinting toward the Ending

Awesomeness. I've been tweaking my story (oy, me, it's after 3am right now), and adding more scenes. I'm roughly 14k away from finishing my book. I'm going to try to knock it out this coming week, so I can take the final few days of the month to sort through the scenes that I have, and make notes of what's missing.

Today, my writing goal is to tack on at least 3k in new scenes, which will put me very close to a solid 40k - a nice place to start the week. I still need to do some background work on 2 characters, and make a concrete choice about where this futuristic city is parked. It's loosely based on Georgetown, but I'm not sure I truly want it to be set there. On the upside, I've been to that area, and I know someone who used to live in that area, who can help me with details if I need it. That's something to consider. Whatever I decide, I need to do it before I settle in to organize all my information, and most definitely before I start working on the 2nd draft.

The next phase of the book is where all the "tough work" starts for me. I admit, when I reached that point with Wicked Obsession, and granted I was on a very tight deadline at the time, I kind of panicked. After I had the draft in hand, my mind went totally blank. I started at the very messy rough draft, I didn't know exactly how I was going to transform it into a finished product without the story being flimsy or broken. It was a challenge, but doable, and oh boy, I'm anxious about facing that stage age. This will be the real test of my September Experiment, fleshing out the story into a readable book, not the actual completion of the rough draft.
I have no doubt it's going to be a challenge, and I admit it...I'm excited, but at the same time, I'm a little nervous!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! And I'm excited for you as well. This story has the feel of a breakout novel, girl. Wooyah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I hope so. I'm going to try to muscle my way through a couple of these scenes today. It would be awesome to finish this book a little early. That'll give me more time to pick at the details. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^