Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reading and Mini-Vacation

What I'm Currently Reading
In my time off from working on the September Experiment wip, instead of loafing around watching a bunch of TV like I thought I'd do (ho hum, boring!), I gave up on finding anything interesting to watch and picked up another book to read. Actually, I'm always reading something, but I decided this is the book to read during my mini-vacation writing sabbatical.

Save the Cat! Strikes Back by Blake Snyder is the book du jour for me. [The link goes to Amazon] I read the first book, Save the Cat!, and loved it. Great book. Very helpful, and would definitely recommend it. StC Strikes Back is supposed to offer more insight about how to build working log lines and survey your ideas to see if they are strong enough to develop and pitch. I'm all on board for that - especially with conference season right around the corner.

A little earlier today, I hopped over to Awen (in Second Life) and met up with my critique partner and BFF, Cass Curtis for a round of brainstorming. We're going to be working on our next stories side by side for motivation, and to share organization and writing techniques. We won't be co-authoring, but we'll be trying to reach each stage of our wips at the same time. I curious to see how this will work. Hopefully it will help us both each get a satisfactory story completed and ready for submission by the end of the year.

My story will be geared toward EC's Shivers line. I already have my beat sheet together, and I'm tinkering around with the character sketches. The easy, fun, organizational stuff before tearing off into a book. I'll be shooting for a story length of around 12-20k. I'll post updates about this once we get going. Right now, we're still getting our ideas together.

That's it for now. I'm running short on time. I have to be up at the school in about 15 minutes to pick up Mini bear, so I better hop-to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.