Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Project Underway


Hubby made it back home from his trip to DC, so home feels a lot more "normal" today. Or about as normal as it gets for us, anyway. He's off taking care of business-y things right now, and I'm scarfing down the last piece of left over pizza from yesterday while trying to pull together the pieces of this erotic horror book.

I was up until about 3 am writing the synopsis, so that's out of the way. It also means I officially have a new project underway. The synopsis flows from beginning to end, but I'm still pre-writing - filling in the gaps and tacking on details. I have a few starter chapters written, but I want to go back and fill out character sheets before taking the story any further. There's a huge psychological undertone to this piece. Much more so than anything else I've written, so I'm gonna have to chart the character growth carefully. All that aside, once I get all the scenes straight and the plot together, I'm gonna hit this story hard. Ideally, I hope to have this one in similar shape as Wicked Obsession when I started writing it - all the details jotted down so all I had to do was write the book. That seemed like a lot of work at the start, but it was a life saver in the long run. Especially on such a short deadline.

On to books and readerly stuff... Yes, yes, I know I need to update my Goodreads, so spank me already. I'll get around to it eventually. As far as fiction goes, I've been reading a lot of Harlequins lately.  On my TBR stack this week I have Helen Bianchin's Alessandro's Prize up next and ready to go. I read the blurb in the store and I loved the premise. This isn't one of those stories with the alpha hero pushing the heroine away as he's romancing her. This guy is pursuing the heroine because he's attracted to her. Not because he hopes to hurt her family, or take their secret baby away from her. This book sounds like a very different take on the standard fare. I look forward to reading it. Also on this week's reading list: Just Let Go... by Kathleen O'Reilly - a sexy cowboy book from the Blaze line.

I finished reading The Art of War For Writers (James Scott Bell) recently and rate that book as a must have for writers. The tactics and strategy section is loaded with good advice, much of it you don't find it other writing guides. That one is now in the keeper basket by my desk. Regarding non-fiction, I've moved on to The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass.

I've already read Writing the Breakout Novel, by Donald Maass, and while it was informative, I'm hoping to get more out of The Fire in Fiction. Out of all the writing books out there The Fire in Fiction has probably been the second most recommended book after Deb Dixon's GMC. I guess I'll find out how helpful it is shortly.

That's all for now. It's almost 11 o'clock, and I'll be stuck making lunch soon, so I better get back to work on this Shivers story while the getting's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.