Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Ramblings

So it's back to the Monday grind. I got out of bed on the wrong foot this morning. I stayed up entirely too late going over workshop exercises, and when I made it to bed, I dreamed I was in a classroom taking notes. I went through several screenplay videos yesterday - about three hours worth, and made all these awesome notes on my WIP regarding symbolism and metaphor. I knew a lot of this stuff already, but it was a good refresher. I needed to hear it again.

I also finished reading 45 Master Characters (see previous posts for more info) by Victoria Lynn Schmidt. I give that book my highest recommendation. That's one of those books I'll be keeping in the reference basket beside my desk.

For non-fiction, I'm now back to reading The Fire in Fiction (again, see previous posts for more info) by Donald Maass. So far so good. I hope to read through it this week - if nothing happens to sidetrack me, which has been happening a lot lately. Just a bunch of little things out of my control.

This morning I had to run to the post office, so I dropped off Oldest at the library. He wanted to spend the day in town. When I got back home, I tried to finish up as much work as possible before the afternoon. I promised Mini we'd make some super bouncy ball things from this craft kit. He's into that sort of thing, building stuff and what not. Used to, it was all about playing with cars.

Another sign that his taste in toys is changing: I asked him today what plate he wanted to eat off of at lunch and he chose Scooby Doo over Disney Cars. I think I cried a little. Cars - okay, anything with wheels - has been his thing since the day he took his first breath. He is starting to seem a little less interested in them, and while it's just that he's growing and finding new things to like, it saddens me somewhat. My little boy is growing up.

Anyway, back to writerly things, I have another two weeks to pull all the details together to hammer out this latest book project. After that, I'll be stuck in writing mode, and I intend to sit and do it in one stretch. This will be my last blast for the summer. I have to start getting things ready for back to school, which means I have to start picking up uniforms, and I need to get Mini over to the dentist, and the doctor for check ups, and what not.

I've come to dread this time of year. I always used to love summer, and I guess the freedom it represented, but it's always such a madhouse around here come late July through the end of August - especially now that the kids have to go back mid-month. Whatever happened to school starting in September?  They lengthened the school year, and still Mini can read better than a third of the kids that Oldest graduated with. Seriously.

But I suppose it does not good to bemoan what I can't change. School will be starting up again soon, and I'd like to take a trip to the gulf before the summer is out, but I'm not sure we can swing it this year. Hubby has already missed so much work to go to D.C., and I really don't want to push it. Still, I'd love to take a little trip down to Grand Isle, if the universe is willing.

That's all for now. I imagine Oldest will be calling me to come pick him up soon. Until then, I'm going to go fall across the couch with Mini and read for a bit. Hopefully I won't fall asleep!

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to Grand Isle too. Heck anywhere outside of here right now. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack your bags, and let's go! Bring your manuscript and we'll make it a working vacation. We can take it off our taxes! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^