Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day & Lazing Around


Happy Father's Day to all the awesome dads out there! I gave the hubby a card, and an Amazon gift card - which he spent five minutes after receiving, lol - and the boys got him a card too. I talked to my dad on the phone this morning for a few minutes. He and my mother were getting ready for church. They're having a Father's Day dinner there, so this afternoon, once they're back home, I'm going to drive over for a visit to take dad his card and gift.

So, it's pretty much going to be a lazy day for us. I've got a corned beef in the crock pot, and tonight I'm going to cook some cabbage and mashed potatoes to go with it. It's been so hot lately, I'm reluctant to cook in the house unless it's in the crock pot. Dad was telling me it was 102 on his porch yesterday - there's a big themometer hanging out there.

I told him not to sit out there smoldering in the Louisiana heat to the point it makes him ill. Get inside and bask under the central AC with mom. He has a spritzer bottle out there and a fan to keep cool out there, but still... I hate to think of my dad as elderly, but the heat ain't no joke. Every year in Louisiana there are elderly people, most of them very poor, who die from the heat. We've participated in the fan drives - usually advertised on the local TV stations. They'll gather fans to take around to the elderly folks who are in need. This year it seems especially hot and dry. We've had a burn ban going on for about three weeks now. The grass in our backyard is dead and brittle. It crunches under your feet when you walk on it. Anyway, that's living in the south for ya.

Last night I began working on my new project for Ellora's Cave. I've been itching to write something for their Shivers Line since I first heard about it. I'm so absolutely jazzed about Shivers. Now that I'm free to get a new project going, I'm working on something tailored to the line. I have a story written, but after checking out the other books they have up, I'm not sure the completed story would be suitable and I'm not sure if it can be rearranged to fit. So, instead of pulling my hair out over it, I'm doing something entirely new and geared specifically toward the line. Very exciting!

The guys are giving me the stink eye (yep, just like that) so I better shut down the comp and find my shoes. We're going to take a quick trip up to the store. I want to pick up a bag of ice, and I think hubby must have something in mind he wants up there. No idea what, but anytime he's itching to go shopping that's usually the case. To all the awesome dads out there, Happy Father's Day. And to all the moms...I hope your day is peaceful. Hehehe! ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^