Friday, June 03, 2011

The Friday Skinny


My first post on the new computer! I figured out that my new out of the box Acer Aspire desktop computer has no network wireless adapter, so once I stopped swearing, I took a drive up to Wally World and bought a cheap USB version. I installed everything, and voila! I have internets! *dance, dance, much rejoicing*

First things first...the billion updates and registrations that swamp you with a new computer. Oy vey. I got through that, downloaded itunes, tweaked and added new haunts, and I  feel like I've finally settled in. Whew! Tough work. After all that, I met up with Cassandra Sharktooth Curtis in Second Life and we went shopping for a rug for the new Midnight Moon Cafe branch on Witch Island. I love that sim. I've been visiting that area since I joined SL, so it's pretty sweet to have a rental there.

We also went looking for a vampire sim with good traffic to put up a book kiosk for my vampire titles. I'd like to get one over in the Transylvania sim, but there never seem to be any rentals open. Boo hoo. I guess I'll have to keep checking back. At any rate, that's the chase. Trying to track down my target audience so I can put up some book posters.

Anyway, I met my editor for the vamp novel this morning, so I'm thrilled about that. While waiting for the first pass, I'm gathering my notes together for the summer workshop, which is happening the 11th. If you're in the Shreveport/Bossier City area of LA, or are simply in the mood for a great summer mini conference and willing to travel, visit www.nolastars.com and take a peek.

We have some awesome folks coming to talk books, craft, screenwriting, and agenting 101. Debra Dixon is our keynote speaker. She'll be talking about GMC. If you haven't heard of GMC, I highly recommend you pick up the book. Note: it's far, far cheaper to buy it directly from the publisher. Sellers gouge the price for her GMC book on Amazon.

Also coming to the mini conference... Michelle Grajkowski of Three Seas Literary Agency, authors Kerrelyn Sparks, Winnie Griggs, Lenora Worth, and Beth Cornelison...plus several others. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There's an itenerary listed on the Nola Stars website. The entire conference is $25 if preregistered, or $30 at the door. You can't beat those prices. I'm psyched to be going. Author Keri Ford and I will be presenting a workshop on epublishing, self publishing, and publishing through a small press. Interesting stuff you don't want to miss.

Yes, a shameless plug, but I can't help it. I'm excited about the mini-con. It's kinda like summer camp for book junkies and writers. I love this sort of thing. Yes, I'm one of those people who likes to sit around and talk craft til the cows come home, so be warned if you sit next to me! Another benefit of me going to summer writerly sessions...it spares my poor kids and hubby from having to listen to all my book chatter for a day or so. Heh. My poor beasts. ;o)

Oh! Before I forget, here's a self accountability update: I'm still brainstorming on the next story. I've nailed down two characters, an overall theme, the small town where the story will take place, and a general relationship dynamic. I'm still developing the ideas, but I should be able to start working on my character sketches next week. If I'm not swamped with those edits, that is. I have to put the edits first...we're on a very tight time frame. You won't hear me complaining though. I look forward to seeing this book finished and on the shelf.

That's all for now. I'm off to go run a few errands before the weekend sets in. ;o) I hope you have a wonderful Friday!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeps, I goofed. Here we go again and hope this time it makes sense. (I'm blaming the sex faeries, they were cavorting on my keyboard—honest! lol)

    I am so glad you got the new computer up and running. I posted the pics from our photo shoot on my blog. :-) I still want to search for a nice trafficentric vampire sim, so let me know when you plan to pop back in SL again and we'll hunt the vamp hangouts for ad space. :-)

    I wish I could go to your workshop, but I'm already scheduled to do tarot this weekend, plus going to see if I can get in to see Sylvia Browne while she is in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we must've missed each other by minutes late night. I ended up going to bed around 1 am. I have a bit of running to do, but I found this cool sim that looks a lot like gloomy did. I don't know if they have rentals or high traffic, but it's worth looking at if for nothing else but nostalgia's sake. LOL ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.