Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cora Vs. The Computer Faery

funny pictures - hoooooooooooooooot

My laptop has been dying a slow death for months.

Every week I give it a tune up, clean up the registry, tweak a few things and run a dozen or so scans, but it's like a space ship that's been patched up over and over in a horror movie. It's still bleeding oxygen out into space, and there's very little the crew can do to stop it, so they're just coasting on borrowed time, looking for a habitable place to land.

That pretty much sums it up for my computer usage. I cross my fingers when I turn it on in the mornings, and pray it won't overheat before I've saved what I'm working on. I bought a laptop fan for it about two months ago and that has helped the overheating problem tremendously, but I know that's not a legitimate fix. You can feel the hot air blowing from the vents underneath the USB ports, and just this morning I had to say a chant over what remains of the keyboard during startup. Yikes! The fan and the tweaks are only prolonging the inevitable, but hopefully I won't have to worry about that for much longer. I gotta say...it will be awesome to tip-tap-type on a keyboard that has all they keys and a working space bar. Uptown, y'all. For reals.

Hubby bought a new desktop system for me as a Mother's Day gift, but it's still in the box. I'm holding out until Monday so I can finish the damn book before setting up the new machine. I have this fear if I try to transfer anything it will end in disaster, and I'm so close to the ending I'd probably have to be sedated and locked away for life if I lost my work at this point.

Right now I have about 40 pages left to edit on the existing manuscript, and 4 new scenes I have to write to bridge unexpected gaps. As it stands, I'm a hair shy of the 40k point - 10k added since the last time I reported in - and without a doubt this thing is going to go a few thousand over 40k. So, unless there is a massive, ginormous amount of cutting during the official edits, this will be a short novel rather than a novella.

That's it for now. I have to get busy and write while I have the chance. It's my dad's birthday today (Happy birthday, daddy! *waves*)...and once Mini is in from school this evening we have to go over his lines, download his school pageant songs to sing through, and cut out felt stars so we can fabric glue them to a red T shirt for his end of the year program. Hear that crunching sound? It's the universe standing on my neck. No problem.

Incidentally, Mini's grand production is scheduled for Thursday morning. I usually look forward to the kids doing stuff like this, but I'm kind of put off by the attitude of some of the people involved. Have a job? Pfft. Work long hours?  You wuss. Your own plans be damned, there is a school program to prepare for! *snaps fingers*

Yep. Thanks for the advance notice. I'm going to crawl into the writing cave and hide now. Happy Tuesday, everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I sooo feel for you on the whole school program thing! I just finished rehearsal week hell and recital weekend. My daughter's dance troop did their end of year recital for Mother's Day weekend. My daughter is 11. The age group of the dance troop run from 3 to 18 and they put on an as professional production as possible for a small town and using a high school stage. They do the same show three times over the weekend. And each recital has a different theme. My daughter's adrenaline high wore off Sunday night and that is when she broke down whining and crying. Plus during all this I have to drag my 6 year old son along because my husband works long hours. Yay! It's done for another 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SarahFay, you are a brave, brave lady. I would be frazzled through all the dance troopness. It was similar with cheer.

    If I can just get through this one event, it'll be over. The kids get their diplomas, report cards, and all that jazz in one swoop.

    Won't be much longer now! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel your pain with the computer problems. when I first started writing articles I would write directly into the box on the website and just click send. But one time my session times out and the whole article was lost. it also happened to a few other epople are we got smart and started saving our work to a word program, I now use open Office and save all my work also to a file in my yahoo mail...just in case my computer takes a dump again and I can't access my stuff saved to the computer it will still be on yahoo. lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.