Monday, April 04, 2011

two x two

I just realized I haven't blogged for days. I've been so wrapped up in rewrites, I've barely picked my head up to see what day it is. Lately I've been reading through the manuscript (over and over) and cutting so.many.words. It's kind of giving me nightmares.

I think part of the problem I'm having is that there's a lot of info packed into a novella length piece, and this could have been a short novel if I had more time to devote to it. Still, I have what I have, and the show must go on.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be deep in revisions, putting my artistic soul on the chopping block so I can pound this sad fish into something readable. That being the situation, there probably won't be a whole lot of blogging going on until I'm finished. But never fear, I'll resume once the crunch is off me.

So, all that aside, I'm off on my grand trip to rewrites hell. Behave while I'm gone, or at the very least, don't do anything I wouldn't do. Ha! ^_^

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I'd like to be able to do *what* you do! I've scrapped and rewritten 3 starts on my book...still not sure I get it. I am *very* good at making cuts though :) (not sure I would classify chucking in the circular file as editing....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... So, do you mean the start of your book as in the first chapter, or the first three chapters?

    When I can't get a scene to work for me, I read through the scene then take out a pen and paper and list EXACTLY what I want this particular scene to tell my reader.

    Example Scene one: John goes home and accidentally finds out his wife Mary is cheating on him, but decides (it's important that character makes a decision to do something - this helps push the story forward) not to let her find out he knows.

    I make a numbered list of the things I want him to do:

    1. He goes home
    2.sees a company truck in his driveway
    3. goes in the house to pick up the keys to the office
    4.finds his wife in the arms of another man
    5.Instead of confronting them, he hears an interesting piece of information that may have something to do with death threats he's been receiving at work
    6.leaves before they notice he's been in the house

    That's a really crappy example, but it's worth a shot. I'm going to be doing this exercise on one of my own chapters later tonight. Boo. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too.Much.Information....where's my circular file?

    1. Jewell gets pulled over by the police....
    2.....



    Please tell me it gets easier. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^