Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Busy Writin' Mama

I know it's only Tuesday, but so far this week has been a challenge. While trying to pull together last minute stuff for conference, I'm also waiting to hear back on a proposal, and I have both boys home because it's Mini's Spring Break.

Today both boys came to my office door several times while I was in the middle of writing. I fed them both breakfast, but there's nothing to snack on, and nothing to eat in the freezer.

Instead of foraging for grub they come to me, matronly bearer of edible things...and whine. (Don't get any ideas of malnourished bratlings in Casa Zane. There is no such thing.) "Mom, what's for lunch? I'm starving." Yes, dear, I can see your starvation. Give me five more minutes. Ten more minutes. One more paragraph. For goodness sake, can't Oldest make you both some Ramen noodles?

Okay, I didn't say that last one, but I sure thought it. Instead, I told both guys to go get their shoes on and we'd run to the grocery store. Thirty minutes later, I'm still in my pajamas, it's going on noon, and I'm still reading posts in this workshop I'm taking and trying to work on my high concept for this pitch.

Oh, all right, already... I give up trying to get anymore writerly things finished, and take the kids to Wally World. AKA the time-suck of doom. Oldest immediately runs off to the far corners of the store, and Mini starts in with I want a toy, I want a toy, I want a toy. Very distracting! So much so I forgot to put my thyroid prescription in at the pharmacy. By the time I buy food to get us through the week and get it all in the trunk of the car (without Oldest - where the heck is he, anyway?) I remember the pills and have to go back inside to order them. Um. I've got to find Oldest, too, unless he plans to walk home.

The cashier remembered me, and laughed when she saw me heading toward electronics. "Back already?" I point at Oldest who is lingering around, reading magazines. "I came back for that blond thing over there." She cackled and walked on. I gather both  kids, put them on a leash (I wish!) and go back to the pharmacy to wait. After ten minutes, all I can think about is the pork loin thawing in the back of my car.  I tell the guys we'll pick up the prescription tomorrow, let's get the heck out of here.

The guys squabble all the way home, until I stop on the little country road leading to our house, and ask them if they want to go live with the gypsies. I'll drive them out into the sticks myself! They grumble a little, but finally chill out enough to make the rest of the drive (all three minutes of it) in peace.

It is so good to be back home. Whew! I have my hiking boots off, and I'm settling in to print up the final version of these pitch cards. The groceries are put away, the doggies are out digging up the backyard, and hubby is home relaxing. Oh, and the kids have wandered off to their own corners of the house. (Peace!) I have told them all we're having dumplings for supper. Easy, fast, and yummy. It seems as if that's gonna suit everyone just fine. But if it's not acceptable, I told them they can feel free to Ramen noodle it if they're hungry enough. Seriously. Because mama is busy this week, and they're just going to have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.