Friday, March 18, 2011

Back From Conference Contest

I had such a fabulous time at the conference in Shreveport this past weekend. The conference committee did an excellent job, and I really can't brag on them enough. They totally rock, and I'm looking forward to attending again next year.

I know quite a few people who for various reasons either can't go to conference because of distance, financial reasons, health reasons, etc. I'm not talking specifically about our local conference, but writing conferences in general. That being the case, I wanted to bring a little conference fun home to one lucky winner. I have prepared a prize basket...hm, I guess it's really a prize tote bag, but why compare tiaras and party hats, right?

I've pulled together a writer's "basket" filled with fun writerly things. That's it shown on the left. If I did this right, you should be able to click on today's picture and get a larger view. Now let's take a peek at what's in there... ;o)

First off, everything comes in a cute, starry tote bag - aka, the basket. Included is a bag of Birds of Paradise scented candle chips (my favorite!) from Mary's Candles, which is a local candle shop. I have a magnetic notepad for your writing to-do lists, a calculator for tabulating your word count, various colored tabs for marking your book pages, a mini notebook, and a pre-read copy of Janet Evanovich's How I Write. That is just what is shown in the picture above.

I'm also including a copy of Susan Squires book The Hunger, which is a paranormal romance. And a new copy of Carla Capshaw's The Gladiator, which I believe recently won a Rita Award. The Gladiator is an inspirational romance. Whether or not you read inspirational, the book is an award winner. I like to branch out and see what makes books tick. I am also including chocolate, and a set of my book cards.

Now, for the rules. The first one is important: no multiple user names. It shows up on my statcounter, and it drives me crazy, so please don't do that. I want everyone to have a fair chance to win, so be aware using multiple user names will get you disqualified.

The rest is simple. To enter for a chance to win, I want you to tell me what books are on your keeper shelf. The names of your favorite books and/or the authors. Why do you love those particular books?  Leave it in the comments on this thread, and you're automatically entered. I will ship anywhere in the world, so don't let geography hold you back!

As a bonus, if you follow my blog, or are already following, via the Google Friend Connect app in the left hand sidebar of my blog, I will put your name in the hat twice. You can double your chances with the click of a button. Easy peasy.

I will leave this contest running all weekend. On Monday, March 21st, 2011, I'll draw one winner at random from those who entered and announce their name here on the blog. **

So, you want to win, right? Right? *crickets* Good luck, everyone, and happy weekend! 

**For the sake of stating it plainly for the FCC, I have purchased all these items myself. Nothing is donated, or offered as compensation for advertising. I bought it, built it, now I'm giving it away. 

14 comments:

  1. Hell yeah I want to win!

    As for books on my keeper shelf - hmm, well it's groaning under the weight so I'll just have to mention a couple:

    - Best Women's Erotica 2010
    - Everything by Karen Chance, Richelle Mead, Charlaine Harris and Rachel Caine
    - I'll be quiet now, the groaning bookshelf was not an exaggeration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome prize. On my keeper shelf are Keri Arthur, Sherrilyn Kenyon,and JR Ward.
    I am following your blog.

    Crystal816[at]hotmail[dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeper shelf...Yeah, I don't have one of those....I have a keeper bookshelf. lol

    And on it I have just about every book Diana Palmer ever wrote..I'm still missing a few though. Then there's Laurell K. Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Pamela Palmer, Monica Burns and so many more I can't even count them.

    I'm a gfc follower.

    miztik_rose@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider yourselves on board, ladies! Good luck!

    I'm also adding Charlotte McClain's name into the hat for adding me on the Google Friends Connection app.

    She let me know on Facebook she keeps trying to post on blogger but she keeps getting a message in Arabic blocking her from posting. I think it's a geography thing. :S If anyone else has this same problem, let me know on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books on the keeper shelf - well, I have a new keeper shelf that I just stared. I can't really share 'cuz it's kinda private but the first one is a Dummies book.

    Best books - The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Dominique and Howard are both strong characters that are willing to defy everything for what they believe in.

    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. It has the best first line "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice"

    My favorite authors run the gambit from Robert Heinlein to Douglas Adams, to Piers Anthony, to Tad Williams, to Terry Goodkind, to Melanie Rawn, to Kim Harrison, to Faith Hunter, to Patricia Briggs, to Adrian Phoenix, to C. E. Murphy.

    I read a little bit of everything. I read about 2 books a week. Even though I have 3 jobs, I always make time to read and almost everything I read has just a touch of romance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My keeper shelf has the whole collection of stories from:

    Janet Evanovich
    JD Robb
    Eileen Wilks
    both LKH series
    Stephanie Laurens-all three series
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    Lora Leigh-all her series
    Joey W Hill-everything
    Shelly Laurenston
    Sarah McCarty

    already a GFC follower

    caity_mack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a writer ...yet. On my keeper shelves are Dara Joy (all of hers!) some Janet Evanovitch's, Nina Bangs and Cora Zane's too.
    I'm a follower.

    Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mindy again (Blush - I forgot my email)

    I'm Birdsooong@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a small library in my house. My husband groans every time I tell him I need another bookshelf. Some of my absolute favorites are:

    Sherrilyn Kenyon - I enjoy her take on classic mythology along with the action and her sense of humor.

    Patricia Briggs - Her take on werewolves and native mythology is great.

    Yasminie Galenorn - Witches, fairies, were pumas, dragons, elves, OH MY! The list goes on and on.

    Diana Gabladon - Her books were the first that introduced me to the paranormal genres. I fell in love with this genre and haven't looked back. And though my tastes have grown and expanded since first reading hers she'll always hold a special place on my shelves.

    And there's more so much more...

    sarahfay13[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cora! I love those post it tags! I'm always looking for them to put on pages of favorite scenes and the like! I seem to find them so much easier that way! Sounds like you had a fab time! As a reader, I have been thinking alot recently about getting involved in the local chapter, just because reading is a huge part of the joy in my life.

    I have these two historical romances books together on my shelf that have a special meaning for me. One is ANNIE'S SONG by Catherine Anderson and the other is SILENT MELODY by Mary Balogh. Both of these books, the heroine is deaf. As being deaf myself, I wanted to see how they portrayed then, but instead, I got so emotionally caught up in the stories! ANNIE'S SONG is a Western Historical Romance and the hero, James (I'd never forget his name, its the same as my hubby!) was so there for Annie and too wanted her to experience life for once and stepped back and I cried so much with this book. I would so recommend it to anyone! SILENT MELODY, the heroine Emily fell in love young with Lord Ashley and I could feel so many of her emotions through her art. She said so much through that and I felt the author so put her own feet in the heroines. I set off to read these in wonder of a heroine who is deaf, but experienced so much more with these books that still touch me anytime I think about them.

    I love hearing about others keepers! I have other keepers there too for their special ways they touched me (even many ebooks! which I sometimes end up getting in print and pick up many times still). I'm following your blog.

    PS Sorry this is so long! I so love chatting about what I love reading!
    cathiecaffey @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My keeper bookshelf right now includes the Anita Blake series, Sookie Stackhouse series along with the Vampire Academy and Vampire Diaries books.......if you can't tell I'm really into the paranormal right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone who entered my contest! This thread is now closed. I'll be announcing the winner shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^