Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Year of the (Writing) Rabbit...a day early


Yes, I know it's a day early, but I'm excited about Chinese New Year. ^_^ I'm a wood rabbit according to the Chinese zodiac, so I hope this means a happy year is in the stars for me.

I'm also posting this a few hours early because there are some cool writerly things floating around the internets that I want to share. First off, if you want to write paranormal romance for Harlequin, there is a Nocturne Bites pitch contest going on this month. The following link with take you to the eharlequin forum with the rules/instructions: http://community.eharlequin.com/forums/write-stuff/editor-pitch-challenge-nocturne-bites

Also, Harlequin editor Brenda Chin talks about two-tier conflict, which is what Harlequin is looking for across  all their lines. The craft portion of the post is small, but important. If you care to take a peek, you can read it here: http://blazeauthors.com/blog/2011/02/01/happy-valentines-month/

For more information about crafting that kind of two-tier conflict (something I have been recently learning how to do!), author Julie Beard explains this concept briefly, but very well, in The Complete Idiot's Guide To Getting Your Romance Published. Or, if you're needing something with a more thorough, focused approach to working with two-tier conflict, you might want to pick up a copy of Debra Dixon's Goal, Motivation, Conflict.

Whew! That's all for now. I need to settle in for a bit of writing and the girlie pups - Sassie and Diva dog - are both rawr-ing at my desk chair because I have popcorms. They won't be satisfied until they eat ALL of it, the gluttons... tsk, tsk. Happy Hump Day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I may not be a rabbit, but I'm excited about all the new changes and cool opportunities in the air! Woot!

    This should go doubly for you, since you're a rabbit. ::demon rabbit hop:: heehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hop, hop, hop! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^