Sunday, January 09, 2011

put on a little lipstick and everything will be fine

It's a cold dreary weekend. I love it. Perfect writing weather. I'm working on a couple of things, one of which I'm trying to rush through to meet a submissions deadline. We'll see.

It's been pretty uneventful here. I got my royalty check a few days ago, which means we'll be able to get a new transmission for mustard Jeep. After relying on the company work van for a few months because his own ride is out of commission, Hubby is thrilled about that. I can't say I blame him! Anyway, I get the leftovers, so I bought makeup. Good investment, you know? I bought two MAC lipsticks - Fleshpot and Verve. Fleshpot hasn't arrived yet, so it isn't pictured. I also picked up a jar of MAC Lip Erase balm in Pale.

I've heard mixed reviews of Lip Erase, but this guy did a video of it on Youtube, and once I saw that, I knew I had to try it myself. That said, I like this product a lot. I dab just a little on my finger then pat it on my lips and it works great to blot out my lip color. The downside is there are only two colors for Lip Erase, Pale and Dim.

I wish MAC had a shade lighter than the Pale, it would match my skin tone better, but for all effective purposes, it does the job. It feels smooth and balmy on the lips, and a little goes a long way. I tried it with a several shades of lipstick, and the only kind of lipstick I wouldn't use with Lip Erase is a thick, or dry lipstick, like some of the .99 cent drugstore brands tend to be. I wore it with Maybelline Colorsensational shade 205 "Nearly There", which is a moist, super sheer natural tone pink-nude with a faint shimmer. As light as the 205 is (sorry, my lighting is terrible in here or I'd swatch it), the Lip Erase didn't bleed into it. Great stuff - both the Maybelline 205 and the Lip Erase. I highly recommend both.  

I also picked up a MAC lipstick in the shade Verve, which is a highly pigmented plum-brown in a satin finish. It's kind of a raisin color in my opinion. I thought from the computer swatch it would be lighter, but it's actually quite dark. I worried it would be too dark for me, but it's actually nice if you pat it on the lips instead of going for the full effect. It takes on sort of a rosy brown tone when it's not applied heavily. Since I wear a lot of plums and browns, I can tell already I'll be getting a lot of use out of Verve.

Those are the top picks of my weekend makeup mini haul. I also bought a Revlon lipstick in 065 Rosy Nude, which is a really pretty warm, pinkish brown tone, and L'Oreal Studio Secrets eyeshadow quad #536, Lavender Smokes. It has a pretty plum brown in it, a light camel color, a muted rosy brown, and a nice light golden champagne shade. All the colors have a nice shimmer.

Changing the subject, I've committed myself to timed writings two days a week. I've written four thousand words in the past two days, and I'm hoping this boost will help get me back on track. My #1 writing goal this year is to wrap up Blaze's story in the Werekind series, and I'm hoping that will be finished by March.

I met my crit partner and BFF Cass Curtis online in Second Life the other night, and we sat up in my skybox brainstorming and working through plot problems.

I don't think I have plot problems exactly, I just couldn't decide on which beginning I liked best. When I first sat down with the story, I sketched out three opening scenarios and went on with the book. I'd start examining one, and then I'd think I liked a different one better. Then another. After a while, it all seemed kind of muddled in my brain. Which one works best?  The minute I sat down to go over the options with Cass, I think it settled in which story opening suited the characters, but it wasn't until last night when we talked about stories again that I finally feel settled enough with my choice to move forward with what I have. Wish me luck!

I have a goal of 1k words today, and I hope to do a little reading toward the late afternoon, so I guess that's all for now. The guys are all quiet and watching a movie, so it's a perfect time for me to add a few words on my WIP. ;0)

Happy Sunday!

9 comments:

  1. SQUEEE!I <3 MAC! It is incredible! The shades you picked are yummy!Your post title made me think of my mom. She puts on lipstick before she goes and does anything. She could have no other make up on and be on the way to the gym but still has to have lipstick on. I think lipstick is like Wonder Woman's bracelets. Powerful and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work it out, Cora! I love love L.O.V.E mac makeup. It's just awesome. I've never heard of their lip eraser but will certainly be headed to the store to see.

    And yay on your 4k progress! Timed writings are amazing for that. I may have to try it myself. I've been sluggish of late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lipstick is like Wonder Woman's bracelets - I absolutely love that, and I totally agree! Whenever I get in a frump,I head to the lipstick counter. Color is empowering! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're working on it, Isy. Cass and I have rededicated ourselves to the writing cause this year, so more timed writings to come. ^_^

    You may have to look at the secondary market for the lip erase. I think (not 100% sure) that it was limited edition and has since been discontinued?

    I don't know what I'd put it in, but if you were nearby, I'd just carve you out a sample of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been bi on lipstick, I do wear different flavors of chap stick, but lip stick has never been my thing. My daughter on the other hand loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That should say *big on lipstick* lol

    I blame it on the keyboard...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make my own lipsticks and a lot of my own make-up, but I did get some Mac lipstick and cover concealer last year when my one sister came in town to see mum while she was in the hospital.

    Hang on, lemme see what shade that lipstick was...Shy Girl. It's a
    creamy neutral coral beige. I like it okay, but I still think mine own creations are better. A heck of a lot cheaper to make too! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cold, isn't it? And the perfect time to order lipstick online so it doesn't arrive in a new - sculpted by the heat - shape. I have to get back into Second Life. I've been using my own chat room for sprinting as well as Google chat. Good luck with those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chat rooms are good for that too, Martie. We go into SL because it is cheaper than a phone call. We've been known to use Skype for it as well. :*)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^