Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Rewind

The NOLA Stars Christmas party was yesterday. Great food and great people. :0) My schedule's been so crazy, I wasn't sure until the last minute if I'd be able to go. I had to wing it, but I managed to get it all together by 8 am, and drove myself to Bossier. I even had time for a cup of coffee on the way out the door!

Jennifer Blake was our speaker, and she told us some very funny and interesting stories about some of her experiences in the early years of RWA. I can only imagine what it was like to be a writer during the glamorous heyday of romance.

She also spoke about her writing habits, and anyone who reads this blog knows that is my kinda thing. ^_^ I took a few notes about that, and sorted them into my writing folder when I got home.

I was kinda tired by that point. (I went to bed at 1 am, got up around 7am to leave for Bossier.) So, I decided to read instead of write, and picked up my beat up old copy of Getting Your Romance Published by Julie Beard. I went straight to page 136 to read up on building conflicts. Amazingly enough, I had an epiphany while reading this section. I've probably read it a dozen times before, and yet, this time it stuck. I knew it had stuck. Everything was suddenly crystal clear and I could place it with all the other things I'd learned through workshops this year.

I ended up taking a dozen notes and drawing diagrams. Once I did that, I went back and replotted my latest Werekind story using the new tips I'd learned and WOW - what a difference those simple changes made! Now that I have that in place, I'm moving along, moving along... Off for now. I have 2k to get on the page today. Hope your Sunday is a cozy one. ;0)

1 comment:

  1. Woot! Sounds like a plan. Wish I coulda been there, but I'll be happy to pick your brain. I know once my life calms down and some of the sadness eases after the holidays, I'll be back to writing and will pester you often. rofl. ((hugs))

    Glad you made the party and glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.