Sunday, November 28, 2010

Write What You Love

tura satana Pictures, Images and Photos
Tura Satana, from Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
Image link courtesy of photobucket.com 
I have eclectic taste. I don't remember when I figured that out, what age I was, or what it was that made me realize I'm wired this way. My interests run from comic books to crochet. Hello Kitty to Marilyn Mason. I have two favorite hair colors, and they are on the opposite ends of the spectrum: white hair, and black. So, of course, what color is my own hair?  Garnet red. I've never claimed to be logical in my dabblings.

I guess that sheds some light on why my mom was always frustrated when taking me shopping when I was younger. It probably didn't help that it was the 80s, and fashion itself didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. [Paperbag jeans, anyone?] Mom could never quite figure out my style quotient. But as ridiculous or hideous as something I wanted seemed to her, she allowed me to have it 99.9% of the time. As long as the boobs and booty were covered, I typically got the green light. I'm grateful for that.

I'm mentioning this now, because I've noticed my writing very much fits the same modus operandi as the rest of my interests.  I like cyber culture, B movies, and zombies. Werewolves and vampires. Futuristics and apocalyptic stories. Horror and romance. I've tried to blend these things into my stories, not only to suit my own interests, but to present them in such a way that other people can enjoy them too. Not everyone gets it. Some people simply don't like what I do. Occasionally I run into people who are quite vocal about it. [Like the little old lady from conference that told me I was evil and going to hell for writing erotica. Why, yes, I am scarred for life, thank you very much.]

I'm writing this post because I know there are a few fledgling writers who drop by here. I don't know what they are writing, specifically, but I'm sure they were inspired to write by another author, much in the same way I was inspired. They read someone else's idea, and wanted to create a version all their own.

Granted, not everything I like is popular, so that's true also when I sit down to brainstorm. I don't always pull ideas from popular culture. And I think that's okay. While it's smart in a business sense to keep an eye on trends, I think it's not just okay to be different, particularly when it comes to writing, it's a necessary skill for survival. We have to be different in order to stand out.

The truth is, there is no new idea, only ideas presented in new ways. If you like something, you can bet your boots someone else out there likes it, too. How large or small that group might be - that remains to be seen. It is possible to take things that are a bit "out there" and twist them to reach a broader audience.

I guess, the point in all this: don't sell yourself short. Don't stop yourself from writing something because you think it's not the popular thing to write at the moment. Trends can change in the blink of an eye. The very thing that makes you different, can be the thing to make you stand out - in a good way.

When all else fails, remember that old saying "Variety is the spice of life". Whoever wrote that...I think they were on to something. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for mermaids to become the new vampires, lol. But it's okay, because I love writing and would do it for peanuts. Literally. Send me peanuts. My squirrel overlords are restless and hungry! rofl.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Girl, I hear ya. Pass the peanuts, would you?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^