Sunday, November 07, 2010

Unleashing New Ideas


As of this morning, I'm pulling together notes for a sexy, cyberpunk story for Ellora's Cave. I had an idea for this story several months ago, so I did fifteen minutes of fame with it. Basically you sit down and write down all the ideas and details you can think of about a story within a TIMED span of 15 minutes. When the alarm goes off, you stop and store everything for later. That way it doesn't interrupt your current projects, and deadline pieces. By the way, I'll be putting up 15 Minutes of Fame worksheets on my Scribd soon, so it's best to subscribe there in case I forget to announce new uploads on the blog. It happens.

Anyway, I tucked this cyberpunk story away in the "Ideas" file on my computer months ago. The thing is, I have about 80 documents in the ideas file, and I can't remember what the heck I named that particular story. So, I've been trying to recall all the details I managed to spit out on that last document and put them into some kind of sensible order.

So far, I've pulled together half of a coherent story. I can't remember how I planned to end this thing, so more brainstorming is definitely in order before I'm ready to start writing that one.

I added another thousand words to the vampire novel last night. I'd hoped to have the next milestone in the bag by now, but I'm still not to the midpoint. Close, but no cigar. I have a huge dry erase board on my office door where I work through plot issues on a linear chart.

To try and save some guess work, Friday night I reworked the chart so it is more concentrated on the midpoint. I've finished the first half of the book, so I don't need that info up there anymore. It helps to have a visual representation of where I'm going with the story, but something about this scene is just plain tedious.

Before I sit down to work on the vamps tonight, I'm going to have to access that scene - figure out what makes me cringe every time I think about working on it. Something is probably broken and I'm picking up on it subconsciously. My current goal is getting to the midpoint, but I can tell some of these scenes from the 1st draft are going to need serious reworking.

On to other news...

This is a heads up about the Midnight Moon Cafe and end of the year promo scheduling - I'm currently - yes, right now - pulling together all the book features for December. If you have already contacted me or Cassandra about your book being featured in December, or were hoping to have your book featured in December, you need to have your information to me no later than November 20th.

If you do not get your info to me on time, someone else will get your promo slot. Don't expect me to hunt you down and send multiple reminders, because I won't. I can't. I don't have the time. Right now I'm focused on filling the schedule because Cassie's dear Mum is in the hospital and it doesn't look good. I am handling the next month or so alone, so I won't be able to chase down people. Sorry, folks!

If aren't sure what you need to send in, contact me through either Facebook, or email me at corazane at aol dot com as soon as possible. You can also check the list on www.midnightmooncafe.com/contact-us .

That's all for now. I better get to work while I have a little time to myself. This evening I'm baking red velvet cupcakes with Mini, making cut out hand turkeys to stick on the fridge for Thanksgiving, and watching a round of holiday Snoopy DVDs. At least, that's the plan. Happy Sunday, everyone! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.