Friday, November 05, 2010

Now's The Time To Be There

I don't know what it is about the season, but the minute cold weather kicks in, I realize it's nearing the end of the year and I feel this rush to submit fifty projects. Even if I don't have fifty projects. It's crazy, I know, but I always feel like time is running out and I need to submit, submit, submit.

On top of that, the past few days, the SYTYCW has been like a motivational shove off the short pier. How very awesome of so many busy editors stopping to give information, podcasts, and to attend chats where readers and writers can ask them industry related questions.

I've attended a couple of the chats, and I've been following the blog posts they've been sharing from a variety of authors discussing their experiences. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I find those kinds of posts incredibly interesting. Today is the last day of SYTYCW, so I imagine once all the business and errand things are out of the way here at home, I'll be checking out what's on the table.

Writers, if you're like me, looking for somewhere to submit your work last minute, there are a lot of listings up over at ERWA at the moment. Check the links in my sidebar and go getchu some!

It's been a while since I reported on the full length vampire novel, and I'm happy to say I'm almost to the midpoint. Woot! So far, so good. It hasn't veered from my cloud sheets, so that is an added plus. I'd be in trouble if it did. Once your story starts going in another direction, it's hard to steer it back on track. And it looks like by the time I'm at the end of this section, I'll have added enough in to overshoot my projected word count a bit. That is a goooood thing. Longer = full of happy. It's much easier for me to trim things down than to pad the story with an additional subplot.

I'm thinking about changing some of the dialogue in the second and third chapters of the book, but it's too early to tell if I'll actually change it or just polish it up. I read somewhere - ugh, I wanted to link to it, but I can't remember...not enough coffee yet, sorry - that you should never have two characters on a page that do nothing but agree (or argue) with each other. Hm. Now I'm determined to link to it. Where the heck did I see that? OH!!! I found it here. (Yep, ten minutes later and definitely not enough coffee yet.)

Anyway, it's not that my characters necessarily agree or argue with each other throughout those chapters, but the dialogue is flat. I remembered that post the other day when I was trying to think of how I would fix the problem. Since the hero and heroine are in a tense situation through most of the book, I imagine they might be a little snappy with each other. Not necessarily arguing, but...more sensitive. On edge. The dialogue needs to fit a character's mood, not just the situation.

Anyway, I'm hoping to reach the midpoint by Sunday. Next week, my aunt and grandmother are coming in from Texas for a visit, so I imagine I'll be over at mom's during the day. No internet there, and besides, it would be rude to take my computer. It would just be extra stuff to carry, since I know I wouldn't use it while I was there.

That's the latest. I have a lot to do today, so better get started. My dad needs his resume updated, so that's my first order of business. Exciting, no?

Happy Friday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. ha..that sounds all so good...and i LOVE ERWA..really..i m a fan since years because i found erwa and cleansheets at the very same day...and have been a fan since then..:-)

    good luck with that vampire novell..soon you ll be done:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, see, I haven't heard of Cleansheets. Now I gotta go look that up. I was just updating my blog links too - will have to see if Cleansheets can go up on the sidebar.

    And thanks on the good luck with the vamp novel. It's getting there slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh really?cleansheets is just a very cool place..the very same where i first found shanna germain years ago when she was the..uhm..poetry editor of it?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^