Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple Wednesday

Protect our kids. Say no to bullies!
I'm getting a late start to the day. I stayed up until well after midnight looking up funny pictures and gif clips with Oldest while talking about career goals, college, and other stuff. Basically mom and son time.

Everyone who reads my blog knows how close I am to my kids. I can't - and don't want to - imagine what I'd do if something happened to one of them. And if something happened to them because of a bully?  I wouldn't let it go. Period.

All this talk lately about teen suicide and bullying shakes me up. And the thing is, it's not just teens bullying other teens. What about the girl on myspace who committed suicide after she was bullied by another girl's mother?  It makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with some people?

It's a cruel world out there, but I refuse to be cruel with it. I believe in karma, and I believe we must eventually face what influence we have sown during our life. I will continue to be the change I hope to see in the world. People need a serious reawakening of compassion. This goes so far beyond tolerance of our differences...it's about decency as human beings. You don't see any other species treat each other the way we treat our fellow man. What does that say about us?

Today's image is courtesy of glitter-graphics.com.

6 comments:

  1. That's SO true Cora. I love my boys more than anything in the world and nothing gets me riled up more than someone treating them unfairly and people seem to be getting meaner. Its getting harder and harder to even find a happy person out there and that's just sad.

    I think its great that everybody is talking about this today, but its not just about gay and lesbian teens, so many kids are being ruthlessly bullied for an assortment of reasons. I was even bullied and threatened earlier this year by a police officer who made a judgment about me based on my income and where I lived. Its a very scary feeling and I'm an adult!

    The world as a whole is becoming a very unfriendly place and I refuse to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely more than a GLBT issue. It's an issue with people in general that needs to be addressed. My Oldest was bullied most of his years of elementary school and junior high. I stayed in the principal's office and was "that parent" they all dreaded to see.

    It's gotten really bad when you see adults doing it. It should be a wakeup call for where we are headed as a society, when we stop trying to help others, and use their suffering as a means of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been upset about this issue as well. Had my own share of being bullied when I was in school, so I know how it felt on the receiving end.

    The thing is, it seems there are more bullies now than ever and they are more vicious than ever.

    The parents of the bullies seem to me are one of two things, either too busy working to pay any attention to their kids on a daily basis, or were bullies themselves in school and are passing along the philosophy of shark feeding time—eat or be eaten. Bully or be bullied.

    That's no way for a society to live. But that mentality is understandable given the twisted anti-civilization we are now living in.

    What happened to respect and individual rights? Each and every child should learn those two lessons as soon as possible.

    If a child or adult respects individual rights, then all people are respected and treated with common courtesy.

    We've become more polarized as a nation and that lack of unity is playing out everywhere to our detriment.

    Whew, okay, off my soapbox.
    And yes, Cora, karma is a bitch who will knock on those bullies' doors one day in this or their next life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you Cassandra, and I have to put this out there, I'm bias having been a homeschooling stay at home mom, but it just seems to me that parents are too stressed and busy to parent anymore. It was bad 10 and 20 years ago when I was raising my kids, but its so much worse now. :( Something needs to change or we are all going to be in deep trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what we can do anymore, but I know if I had a kid right now...I would home school them. My daughter went through all sorts of bully trouble and their parents didn't care and I was told several times by the school I couldn't do anything about it, she had to come in and report them herself. Plus the paresnts don't care. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.