Friday, October 29, 2010

Dream of Graduation and That Book on Your Desk

scary jack o lanturn Pictures, Images and PhotosLast night I dreamed I was late for my own graduation. I'm not sure what it was a graduation for, but I was in a house and there was this red LED alarm clock on a table with a vase of orange and brown synthetic flowers (I think they were my grandmother's, actually) and a reminder note to be there. The note had 9 written on it. And the clock said something like, 9:17. I started to panic.

I shouted at Oldest to hurry up, we were late, and I realized I didn't have anything pulled together. I was sleeping, I guess, since I was wearing nothing but a long T-shirt and undies, no pants - hahahahahaha - and had to race around to find something suitable to wear. I was worrying the whole time that we would miss "the walk", but then I remember how long it took them to actually do the four opening speeches, and I was pretty sure I could make it there by diploma time.

Jack o Lantern Pictures, Images and PhotosI skipped the makeup and went in jeans and the shirt I'd slept in. Oh, hell, now that I think of it, I hope I wore a bra! That would be a thing of nightmares, no bra to graduation? :P

Anyway, I made it in through this side door and there were all these folding chairs. It looked like a church, rather than a school of some kind. Oldest had on his red cap and gown from his actual high school graduation, but I didn't have one, so they gave me one at the door. I was kind of glad for that, because when I took a seat with the faceless other graduates, I was suddenly dressed to the 9s...albeit like I'd just stepped out of a roller disco movie. It was wearing this striped, satiny, pleated blouse with colors like purple, green, and gold with poofy angel sleeves, and trousers. And I had a full face of makeup and my hair was all arranged liked I might do for a special occasion.

I sat down in a folding chair, and Oldest came in and sat near me. I was sitting on the edge of the seat and was in the process of pulling on the graduation gown they had given me, when I woke up. I have no idea what it all means, but I even when I woke up I was glad I hadn't missed the graduation.

Mummy Cat Pictures, Images and PhotosOn a completely different note, I have a writerly question for those who care to answer....

I have a book on my desk right now. It's currently Alien by Alan Dean Forester.

If I'm writing along and I get suddenly stuck, I pick it, crack it open and read a few lines. No more than a short paragraph, just enough to see someone else's words in motion. After that, I shut the book again and start writing again. Works like a charm. I don't know why it works, but it does.

The book itself utterly unrelated to what I'm working on, and yet it's one of those stories that always inspires me, because it's well written, the characters have great depth, and I can visualize what's going on not just by the text, but because I've seen the movie eleventy billion times and it's still one of my favorites.

So my question is, do any of you have a book like that?  One you keep close to your desk to get you typing again when you hit a tough patch?  If so, what's the book?  What is it about that story that inspires you?

By the way, all of todays pictures are linked directly to their source, courtesy of www.photobucket.com  .

5 comments:

  1. I don't have one particular book but when I get stuck or need inspiration I pick up one of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books. Her writing flows so smoothly that it is effortless to read her work. And that just seems to free up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See that's the kind of book I'm talking about. You read it and it clears out the cobwebs. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, we need to chat about this dream of yours, sugar. I think I may have an interpretation for you.

    As for books that clear the cobwebs, I don't really open any other books when I'm in actual writing mode, but between edits I'll peek at three of my all time fav books, and like you, the books aren't the genre I write.

    Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

    Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard

    and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

    I usually reread these books every year, so you can imagine the shape they're in. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesomeness, Cassie. I'd love to hear your interpretation!

    Yes, those are the kinds of books I'm talking about. Hehehe! Alien is one of those books. If it ever falls apart I'll be lost. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. well..right now i read the saltwater buddha by jamail yogis as well as the road by ..uhm..have forgotten his name..both are very good books

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^