Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cue the Orchestra

Image courtesy of the Graphics Fairy
What a great weekend! I went to the Nola Stars meeting on Saturday, and it was an open forum kind of thing. People talked about what went on at Nationals, and some of the things they picked up at the workshops. There was a bit of industry talk, too, then a handful of us gathered over at Chef Lee's for lunch.

After I left Bossier, I went to see the sisters in Haughton. Alice picked me up at the Waffle House since I haven't trekked out to Charlotte's new house on my own before. They were having a scrapbook party. Alice and I sat around the table talking about what happened to our old high school, which closed down to the year after Charlotte graduated. I'm sad to hear that there are weeds growing through the hardwood floors, and that the playground is so choked with weeds you can't tell there is playground equipment out there anymore. I don't think I'll ever go back there to look or walk through it. I'd rather not remember it that way.

On the upside, we were able to catch up on "dad talk" and just chit-a-chat in general. Interesting thing, I didn't know that Alice used to take the orders for the Nola Stars trophies back when she worked for Things Remembered. She asked me what group I had gone to in Bossier, and when I told her it was Nola Stars, our local RWA chapter, she not only recognized the name, she remembered Winnie - who had gone in to order the trophies in years past. Small world, eh?

After I got back home - which was around 6pm - I went to the freezer to get some ice for my diet Dr.Pepper, and saw hubby had bought a bottle of Coole Swan just for me. Oh, I do love that man! So, I poured Coole Swan into the glass of Diet Dr. Pepper and...heaven. Exactly what I wanted. It's tastes a bit like an ice cream float. I highly recommend it. ;0)

The next two weeks are going to be full of crazy, so I'm trying to keep that in mind and prepare as much as possible. Mini begins Kindergarten testing this week, and next week he'll start full days. I am so not ready for this! Endure, endure, endure...or so I keep telling myself. ~_~' Yeah, I know, he'll probably take the transition better than I will. Ah, to have that childhood resilience again.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time. :)

    I think most kids do better the first time they head off to school, than the parents do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to move back to my hometown recently. The main building of my old elementary school has been torn down and the grounds have been turned into a park. My mother graduated from high school there in 1944. It's kind of neat, though, because the adjacent building that housed my 1st and 2nd grade classrooms is still there along with the auditorium and gymnasium. I drive past it a few times a week, and it always brings back memories—good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Mary. He'll probably do fine. I'm the one that's all nervous about it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucinda, wow! How neat they made it in to a park! I wish they would've done that with the old school. It's in a very small rural area, though, so I imagine no one had the money or means of funding a project. They could have at least kept the play ground. So sad. I have a lot of good memories of that place.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.