Friday, July 02, 2010

Still Floating

Moraine Lake
Stunning photo by tonycornfield. Photo links courtesy of webshots.

I'm gathering all my stuff together to run errands for the week. I have books to mail out, shopping to do, and a dozen other things I've written down on a list so I don't forget about it. Normally, I love Fridays, but today feels so pensive I can barely stand it. I'm paying one bill by the skin of my teeth, and I'm going to have to do it direct pay. Good Pete. On the other hand, it's getting paid, so I guess I shouldn't fuss. 

There isn't much of anything to eat in the house, so shopping is a must. The kids have been bemoaning the lack of instant grub in the house. You know what I'm talking about - the grab and go stuff. We've had to pair down on all that. I've been buying lots of cook-it food. Eggs and bacon, pancake mix, brown rice noodles, and bags of potatoes. Oh, the horror. The kids are surely gonna starve.

Mini came to me whining yesterday because there weren't any snacks: chips, crackers, candy, etc. Well, I rarely ever buy candy, so I'm not sure what up with that. But he's right. The junk hasn't been finding its way here for a while. There were chips earlier in the week, but the kids are like locusts. They swarm on the kitchen the minute groceries are home, and the prepackaged stuff is the first to vanish. So they really have no one to thank for that but themselves. 

I haven't told them yet, but this week there won't be much insta-grub to start with. I'm a bit concerned about this tuna fish recall, because I usually make up this jam-tastic tuna fish salad and store it in the fridge for the guys. It's got pickle chunks, onion bits, cheese chunks in it...the guys love it. When I'm in a pinch, I'll make that and put some chips on a plate, toss a quick lettuce/tomato/crouton salad for veggies, and lunch is done. If there is no tuna on the shelves when I get to the store, I may faint.

I have prize packs to mail out for the Midnight Moon Cafe - those are going out today. And this evening I'll be setting up a book feature for our July featured author, and archiving the latest batch of Midnight Brew interviews so they'll be available for download on the website. I'm also trying to get Heart on Fire revamped and ready for Smashwords. It's the last of my free reads to make the jump. It's an older story, so it needs a thorough edit and update before it's added. It's amazing to see how much my writing has changed in just a few short years. 

Whew!  Okay, there it is: the current agenda. I'm hoping sometime during the afternoon I'll have a chance to sit down and write. I'm trying to wrap up the latest Werekind story for Cobblestone, and for some reason it's like pulling hen's teeth. Once that one is finished, I can kinda chillax and let the muse run wild. But first, priorities...  

That's all for now. Off to do the mommy/Haus Frau thing. I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend! Happy Friday, everyone! :0)

4 comments:

  1. oh that thunasalad sounds great..will u share the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing, Danielle! I'll come back in and post it this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our food budget sounds lot like yours!Kids are living on cold cereal,grilled cheese and ramen. We have been making those oatmeal coco no bake cookies since they are cheap and not too junky and they don't heat up thee kitchen. Am going to try coffee granada(slush made from coffee w milk and sweetener.)

    No Tuna? we eat alot of tuna, too. Eggsalad instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha..cant wait forit..i love thuna:-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.