Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Write Your Heart Out


glitter-graphics.com

So I came up with the twist for my vampire novel last night. It struck me out of the blue, flipped my novel on its ear and added a whole new dynamic to the book. I think I've finally found that cohesive ingredient to get this book over the 60k mark and firing on all four cylinders. Five cylinders, if you count all the plot points.

My ending will be dramatically changed, but I do think it's for the better. It actually makes more sense, and the new ending actually circles to the beginning, so that's a huge plus. Lots of suspense, action, and tension, in this one, so that has me excited. Too, I went through the plot changes with my crit partner she gasped when I got to the twist. I'm taking that as a good thing. It was certainly found the reaction motivational. ~_^

I've run into a handful of complications from making the switch, and I'm currently trying to iron those out before I plunge forward with the next 20-30k. One of my central characters has been reduced to a minor character (ouch), and I had to delete two other characters and make create a single character to take their place. (double ouch) The locations for the 2nd half of the book have changed, there are more scenes to be added, and then there is the whole, brand new ending sequence to tack on. I don't even have any of this down in my note cards yet.

So it hasn't been an easy switch up, but I'm grateful my word count is still intact. It will come together if I keep working at it. I just have to pace myself and keep my head in the game.

I'm waiting for my new books to arrive. I've got my fingers crossed they'll come in this week. I'm mostly itching to get my hands on Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass; it's been the book most recommended to me since I started writing. I honestly don't know why I haven't picked it up by this point.

While waiting for the book haul to come in, I've been going through some of my keeper shelf books. I just re-read through Stephen King's On Writing, and now I'm re-reading through Conflict, Action, and Suspense, by William Noble.

Funny how I read Conflict, Action, and Suspense years ago, and I didn't find it all that compelling. I realize now it didn't impact me because I was no where near ready or capable of applying the material. But now it seems full of wisdom. I've probably taken three pages of notes since I started reading it this afternoon. :*)

I still have at least 16 scenes to write on my wip, so I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me, but I'm feeling a bit better about where I'm going. That means a lot.

So there you have it. All the great big news going on in my world. I hope things are more exciting for you and your family. Happy Tuesday, everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like that vampire novel is really coming along! I'm still playing with novel length but know I could learn to work in more subplots. I'm used to writing shorts and novellas with no subplots at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read it once you're done! Woohoo! It's gonna rock with the twist, I just know it, and yeah, see it makes more sense, too.

    As for me, I am trying to clean up my own version of an oil spill in my wip and can only hope to mop up as much of the mess as possible before I send it to my very talented crit partner.
    :winks:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melisse, by far, the vampire novel is fairing the best of my novel attempts. Right now, I have two other full length novels in my desk drawer that need to be completely rewritten. They're a mess.

    I'm much more comfortable with linear novellas, but over the past few months I've been taking workshops and studying up on story structure. I hope this vampire book will be "the one". So far, so good. *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  4. CC, I'm almost up to 45k, so it's coming along. Like I told Melisse, it's not in terrible shape, but I know it's gonna need at least one more draft to shake out all the plot gremlins. Whew!

    Well, cool beans! I'm glad you've got your writing groove back on. Soon as it you get that puppy ready to go, send it on over and I'll give it a red penning. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.