Thursday, June 17, 2010

Is It Friday Yet?

Dallas City Hall at Night
This stunning photo is by roguegenius. Links courtesy of webshots.

I'm trying to pull a story together to send out this weekend. I'm a bit nervous about it, and the kids aren't helping. ;P Oldest came in this afternoon and informed me that he'd run over his dad's tomato plants. Hubby has been trying to grow a decent batch of tomatoes for the past 3 summers. They've never gotten very big, sometimes we didn't get but a single tomato. This year, he finally got two good vines going that are loaded with huge tomatoes. And Oldest runs them over with the lawn mower. 

How?  How did this happen? I can't even fathom it. Just not paying attention, it's all I can figure. It was an accident, and I'm not angry, but I know this is gonna upset the man when he sees it. I called him on the phone to soften the blow when he gets home, and he didn't sound angry either, just...deflated. The whole mess has kinda ruined my day. And if the man never plants another fucking tomato plant, I wouldn't blame him one bit. 

I'm thinking about resubmitting a story that I sent in to a publisher months ago. I've heard of the new silence = NO rejection, and I'm wondering if this is the case, or if it just hasn't been long enough. Either way, I'd hoped to have this story sold by now. I really love the story, and I think maybe I should just go back over it and send it elsewhere. If nothing else, I can sell it on smashwords.

I do hope more publishers avoid the silence = NO kind of thing, because I'd probably avoid the publishers that use that as their standard - in particular, those that don't put a time limit on the response time. If that does become the norm, it would definitely lead me to start simultaneous submitting because, seriously, let's be fair. I hate to say that, but there it is. Never hearing back on a submission isn't cool at all.

That's all I've got for now. I need to hammer on this story some more. And possibly take an aspirin. :P

2 comments:

  1. Not letting you know whether or not they want your story is just not cool. I hope you hear back from them with good news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it sucks big time. Well, you know my feelings on the subject. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.