Monday, May 31, 2010

Seeking Inspiration



I haven't accomplished much today, sadly. Mini is at my mother's, and Oldest and Hubster have been busy doing there thing for most of the day, so really, I have no excuse. Hubster, dear that he is, even washed my car for me. I do believe the man's a keeper. Around one o'clock I took a sinus-allergy pill and talk about a nap. I didn't wake up until after 4pm, and I sat around for about an hour afterward feeling completely grogged out.

Last night I sat down with Stephen King's On Writing to re-read the writing half of the book. I also picked through a few of the Holly Lisle lessons I have, and read through a couple "getting the call" stories people have posted on their websites and blogs. I love reading about those. I always walk away feeling happy for the author and inspired to go write. I hate to say it, but I need all the inspiration I can get right now.

Before sitting down to work on my story a bit, I ordered a copy of Donald Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel. I've flipped through the book before, but I never bought my own copy. It's been on my to-buy list for a while, I just never followed through. Imagine that. I checked my local library online to see if they had a copy, but turns out they don't, so... I bit the bullet.

I'm curious to see what he says about villains, and other secondary characters. A day or so ago on twitter, Colleen Lindsay  tweeted as few tips from the Donald Maass workshop at BEA. The tweets were helpful, so I'm now itching to get my hands on the book. Don't you feel sorry for my mailman?  I'm going to be stalking him every day now until my new book arrives.

That said, I just came up with the twist ending for my book - right this very moment. It landed right out of the blue, unexpected, but now that I look at it, it's perfectly plausible. Holy cow, I have chills. Okay, that's it for now. I'm out to write a scrapheap of notes.  I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day. :0)


♥ ♥ ♥


One last thing!  Is there something jazzy you do to inspire yourself to write?  Music, movies, candy? Trips to the ocean?  Looking at pictures?  If you have a method of wringing out inspiration, I'd love to hear about it. I hope you'll take the time to answer in the comments. 

2 comments:

  1. While I'm not an author of books, I do write "How To" articles on caring for animals. Mostly small exotics like rats, hamsters and gerbils. I usually get inspired to write by looking at cute rat pictures, funny hamster pictures or looking back through my own photo albums of my animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Mary. I love cute animal pictures. They put me in a good mood. Every morning, the first thing I look at online is lolcats. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^