Monday, April 12, 2010

Mission One Complete: Pre-Writing


Yesterday, all those weeks I spent studying and attending writer's workshops were officially put to the test. I spent about 9 hours total yesterday pulling together the skeleton of a vampire focused urban fantasy novel. Every scene is indexed, every plot point and twist is mapped. The outline is about 20 pages, give or take, and at the core of it, every scene is in place, from start to finish.

Late last night, I did a read through, and made notes to change a few little things, but I have to say, this is the most structurally sound project I've ever worked on. So. I do believe all those workshops have been well worth the money and time invested. Part of that, I think, is that I chose wisely. I picked workshops that targeted my weaknesses, in hopes of finally getting a grasp on those elements.

I have my fingers crossed for this book. It has heavy romance elements, but at the same time it's very dark, very different. I intend to finish this baby over the next few months, and if I have calculated all my scenes right, 15 or so per section, this book will be roughly 75 - 80k in length. I think I'm finally getting the hang of writing longer fiction without that dreadful sagging middle.

That's that. I've been entirely absorbed with this book over the weekend, so not much else got done. I have to make up for it today by mopping floors, doing laundry, and dishes - all the finer things in life. Eh well, it's part of the job description. And honestly, I should aspire to celebrate my Haus Frau-ness more often.  ;0)

I hope you have a good Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your book. I've always believed that structure is a good thing. That's why I've never been a good "pantser".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eager to get my hot little hands on that book and read it. I personally think you have another winner on your hands, based on what I've heard.

    ((hugs))
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lucinda. I'm a reformed pantser, hehehe. I was struggling too much with writer's block and ending up with too many unfinished projects. I had to do something. So far so good with this one. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe, Cassie! ((hugs)) Oh, and I did work out the twist. I can hardly wait to see what you think.

    *evil handwringing glee*

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^