Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wake Me When It's Over

funny pictures of cats with captions


It is the week that would not end. I swear, just when I think I'm crashing through a few gates and getting closer to the finish line, something new pops up out of the bushes.

Yesterday was the man's birthday. Everyone's a bit low on cash, so my mother decided to forgo the gifts this year and cook a classic southern meal for Hubby. It seemed like a great idea, and it got off to a good start. Until we sat down at the dinner table together. Somehow within a matter of minutes, it went from good to completely awkward.

There are times my mom and husband get along famously. Other times, it seems like they just naturally and unintentionally scrape each other. Indeed, you'd think it would be over something like politics or religion or something like that, but no. Over a baseball cap at the dinner table. The whole incident left the man flustered, mom red faced, and me ready to run for the door. It wasn't even an argument, just a bump and deflect kind of thing, but despite the quick recovery, it really sucked the wind out of the dinner.

I felt bad for mom, because she clearly went to great effort to make this meal. Still, it's like there was a big puddle in the center of the room afterward, and everyone kept stepping in it. I tried not to squirm in my chair because no foul was intended. Nevertheless, once the dinner was over, it was clear on both sides it was time to break. Hubby was already a bit moody - turning 37 apparently does that, and everyone else was kind of shell shocked. When we got in the Jeep to leave, I sat with my breath held for probably a solid minute, waiting for hubby to say something about it. Thankfully, he didn't mention it. I can't imagine what I might've said if he had.

Honestly, I shouldn't even dwell on it. It truly was no big deal, but over the last few days the house has been so emo, my nerves are frazzled. The smallest thing gets to me and lingers. It seems like I'm forever treading on eggshells.

Tuesday night, the hubster and Oldest flew into a nasty argument. Hubster is feeling the out of work pinch, and well, Oldest has no concept of money other than HOW to spend it. What started out as a minor irritation on hubster's part quickly had them both at each other's throats. Of course, I'm in the bathtub with shampoo in my hair when it goes down. I can hear the entire exchange, and at the crescendo, my heart was racing, my nerves were so strung out, I was at the breaking point.

I got out of the tub, wrapped in a towel with suds in my hair and basically dumped a nuclear bomb on the shitstorm. "Both of you, go to your corners and shut up!" Once I stripped all the bullshit out of the argument, things settled. Then again, I think if anyone had shouted at me that night, someone would've ended up in ER.

Ah, the glamorous life. Someone rescue me, please.

Things had pretty much calmed down by late evening yesterday. I settled in and worked on my revision class work for a while. Around 7 o'clock, I ran a bath for Mini and called him in. I always give him about twenty minutes to play, because he likes boats and cars and such in the bath. Then in the last ten minutes or so, I'll wash his hair, scrub him up, etc. Anyway, I don't know how I missed it while bathing him. I was helping him out of the tub, and he flinched. I looked, and there is this inch long blue and red blood bruise on his left, upper arm. I'm not gonna lie, I had a freakin' cow when I saw it.

I wrapped him up in a towel and called hubby into the bathroom. A kid at school bit him. Not just bit him, bit him HARD. The skin at the top of the wound made me wonder if he'd broken the skin a little. No one said a word when hubby picked the Minibeast up at school yesterday, but Mini assured us the kid got in a lot of trouble. Still, why wouldn't they tell us? I've got huge germ phobia. Especially with bites and stuff like that.

I tell ya, this week has been a gem.

On a brighter note, so far I've managed to get half of lesson 8 finished. I should be able to knock out the rest today. Oh! I wanted to mention a cool thing. I had epiphany #2 yesterday. Anyone who's been reading this blog for any length of time knows that I've been using note cards to plot with. Been doing that now for a year or two. Well, I have discovered this cool, new (not entirely new, but new to me) use for plotting your entire book scene by scene on notecards. Know what it is? Synopsis writing.

I wrote out an entire beginning to end, book length synopsis yesterday using my notecards. The book is lousy, yes, and needs beaucoup revision, but that is by far the easiest synopsis I have ever written in my life.

For more about the course I'm taking, visit www.HollyLisle.com - OR - www.howtoreviseyournovel.com. The novel revision course is intensive, but I've learned a lot from only a few weeks instruction. It's good stuff, people.

That's all I've got for now. The house is quiet this morning, so I'm going to take advantage of it and get some classwork done. Happy Thursday, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. (hugs)I really hope things calm down. That's irritating. A lot of small stuff compiled to drive you nuts. Like that pebble in the shoe. I know the feeling. :-* Chin up, doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that this's irritating, do not blame yourself. Everything will be fine! 8 fun esl online games for adults - proof-reading.services work in sooth effectively to solve any problems!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^