Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Snip, snip, snip...

This afternoon, I've got to have a talk with the man. He's not feeling well, and it's looking like we're going to have to buy a new washing machine. If we've got to go to that expense, we need to go all in for a dog door for the back as well. And a heater for the utility room to keep the damn machine from freezing again. *sigh*

At any rate, I've nailed my conflict cards, and I'm now working on characterization sheets. I'm pleased with what few characters I have, and can think of only two who really need a closer look. Ready or not, today I am cutting into my novel so I can block it on paper. I need to see what's being cut, and what's staying.

About midway through my conflict cards, I realized I have a loop going on toward the middle of my story. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate writing middles? Anyway, it's basically a four scene section the repeats itself, only in slight variation to the original. That is a definite snip-snip. I wonder how many words it's going to cost me?

On the other hand, the story itself is much, much clearer now. The goals are more concrete. Each scene seems to have benefited in some way. So for all the work I've now sunk into this behemoth, it finally seems to be paying off - a little. There is still much work ahead of me.

That's all for now. Break time is over, so I'm off to go sharpen my manuscript trimming scissors. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^