Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Saturday Skinny




I'm gonna admit it. I'm happy it's Saturday, but I'm actually looking forward to Monday. I completed lesson seven of the revision course, and I'm ready to move on. I get new lessons every Monday, so now I'm on pins and needles, waiting for the downloads to arrive.

I've been making more use of the private forums to ask questions. Each lesson counts as a week, so I'm basically 8 weeks invested. I don't want fall off the wagon with my project at this point. Overall, I think the book seems to be doing okay. I'm going to have to spice up the romantic relationship between the hero and heroine when I actually start the write-ins, but the main thing is to work out all the loose ends.

On another subject entirely...

Nostalgia : that feeling you get right before you lose it and try to buy back your entire childhood on eBay.

Oh yes, indeed. I have a new acquisition to make. I have this straw cowboy hat that I like to wear to the lake. It's cheap, weathered, and looks perfect with a peasant shirt - my cover up of choice. When looking over pictures of the lake from last July, I decided there was one thing missing from my retro ensemble. A feather roach clip.

Ah, the innocence of youth. I was about 6 or 7 when these were popular. Probably around 1980-1981? They were giving them away as prizes at the county fair the year I first remember seeing them, and by the time the carnies were rolling out of town, half the girls in my class were wearing feather roach clips in their hair. At the end of each day for probably a solid month, there was a frenzy of kids trading them on the bus on the way home from school. Alas, I had nothing trade worthy to offer. *sniff*

Since I missed the fair, Dad picked up yellow and white one for me at a gas station on his way home from work one afternoon. Bless his heart, I don't think he knew what the clip was for - at least not in technical terms. I sure as hell didn't. I wore it in my hair, or clipped on my belt loop. I'm sure it perfectly matched my aqua blue Miss Pacman sneakers. Heh.

So yes, I have been feather roach clip hunting. And yes, I'm gonna wear it in my hair. What can I say? I'm a traditionalist. For the most part, I'm kinda leaning toward a two tone feather clip. But then again, I kind of like this one : a roach clip - made with peacock feathers.

Yeah, I know. There's no helping me, is there?

The guys just got back from a grocery store run, and I think the man is waiting for me to run the dishwasher. I think I better get at it before he gives me the evil eye. I swear though, if I find "the" feather roach clip, the one that says it must come home to live with me, I will definitely be taking pictures. Just in case anyone needs blackmail photos. :P

Happy weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. How do you register for the class you're taking? Sounds like it would be helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, go to Hollylisle.com and click on the link that says How to Revise Your Novel. All the information is there.

    I think they just closed off the registration for the January class, but there was once a nifty sign-up page that lets you know when the next class opens. It's probably still there.

    It's a very intensive course that pulls your book apart piece by piece.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^