Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Approaching Book Length



I managed to get my wip up to 57k last night. Woot! It's sitting at roughly 218 pages, so now it's in that final stretch before reaching book length. I'm really excited about that. Judging by what I have so far, and the direction the book is taking, the 80-90k target range seems right on the money.

For an added boost, I've joined Holly Lisle's Write A Book With Me. It's pure, free, scrupulous motivation. ;)

My mini goal for the rest of the week is to reach the 60k mark, and unless something dramatic happens around the house, I should be able to make it. So far, my characters are still in their element and talking to me.

On a completely different note, I am long overdue in posting about the good books I've recently read. I tend to read book in short gallops throughout the day, so I manage to read a book or two a week. You'd think as a writer, I'd post more about my favorite finds...what can I say. I'm usually snatching minutes out of the air just to get the casual things accomplished. At any rate, I've had a stack of books sitting next to my comp that are really good books I'd meant to recommend. Here are two from the top of the stack:

Live Girls by Ray Garton
Welcome to Live Girls, an understated "peep show" club in Times Square run by seductive vampires who feed from, and destroy the lives of, their unsuspecting patrons.
For me, this book was a totally new concept of vampire survival. I like books where the vampires must adapt to the broad world of humans and actually work for a "living", and this is one of those stories. Make no mistake, this horror novel is graphic and very gritty. Full of horrific and some downright disgusting, if necessary, events as a menas of survival. Very interesting book that I read in one sitting. I highly recommend it to horror/vampire fans. The book does contain graphic sex, extreme bloodletting, and violence. Definitely for 18+ readers.
You can buy it here: http://www.dorchesterpub.com/Dorch/productdetail.cfm?Product_ID=1605&L1=1&L2=0

Netherwood by Michele Lang
From the phased out Shomi line at Dorchester, this book is listed as an action romance on the side, but I tend to think of it as being a pretty good cyberpunk novel.

There is a lot going on in this book with both real and virtually perceived personalities (and bodies), cyber outlaws fighting the system, a living forest, and FortuneCorp - a mega conglomerate that has become a dangerous and powerful artificial intelligence.

Netherwood reminds me of smash up of Neuromancer, Ghost in the Shell, with Skynet from the Terminator tossed in for good measure. If you're a fan of classic cyberpunk, you can't go wrong with this one.

You can buy it here: http://www.dorchesterpub.com/Dorch/productdetail.cfm?Product_ID=2070&L1=2&L2=0
Well, the guys are back from their foray into the village. I'm off of here for now - gotta make it look like I'm getting something accomplished, ya know. I hope you all have a happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. I forget to post about my reading too. ::sigh:: Just far too many things happening in a day to remember them all.

    Both of these books look pretty good. I'll have to give them a try.

    And ::high fives:: on the 218 pages. Knocking them bad boys down! Woohoo!
    Keep it up and don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on it, Cass. 1k more in the bag as of last night. ;) BTW, I ordered that mermaid book I was telling you about. When I've finished reading it, I'll mail it to you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.