Wednesday, June 10, 2009

100 Pages In

I'm officially a hundred-and-one (MS Word counted) pages into my full length wip. *confetti* I reached that milestone around 2 AM this morning, and ever since, I have been struggling for five minutes to sit down and write uninterrupted.

It looks like I'll have to wait until the kids are in bed before I get my groove on. I don't know what inspired it, but Mini has had me on a neverending quest. "Mimi, can you bring me a ____? Great! Now can you bring me a ______?" I put my foot down a little while earlier and sent him off to play, but if it's not one thing it's another.

Today, I managed to get all the info for pre-school registration this fall. I told Mini about it and he is psyched! He ran to his room the instant I mentioned school and grabbed his backpack. Such innocent enthusiasm. :P

I have to go put in the deposit for his chair this Friday. Thankfully they don't ask for supply money until school starts or I'll be forced to break the piggy bank and start rolling spare change.

Anyway, back to the writing thing...I've set a goal to meet or exceed the 30k mark by Saturday midnight/Sunday morning. I'm in the 26k ballpark right now, a few hundred words into 26k actually, and I figured that would give me room to breathe if some emergency cropped up. At any rate, I'm hoping that having mini-goals will help me reach the long term goal of roughly 300 pages with as much of my hair and sanity left as possible.

Yesterday afternoon while slackassing around on the net researching online writing tidbits, I found this nifty little guide for figuring up pages and word count totals. I desperately want to check out the site again because it had lots of little interesting writerly things, but you see, I lost the website. Yes, I had too many browser tabs open at the time and accidentally closed the page before I'd bookmarked it. ~_~'

I did manage to copy and pasted the word totals before doing the big stupid, and since the information is mostly generic, I'm going to share it here. If by any chance you recognize the writing site where it originated from (I never even glimpsed at the name! D:) email me or leave a comment and I'll update with a link and proper credit. Until then, I will just say that these aren't my figures. They are borrowed. So here they are, a rough estimate of page count/word count values:

Page count - Word count
1 page 250 words
100 pages 25,000 words
200 pages 50,000 words
300 pages 75,000 words
400 pages 100,000 words
500 pages 125,000 words

Of course this will all depend on how much white space is used and how large your type is, but I'm going it by the standard 12 pt Times New Roman. That seems the safest bet. I can verify that at around 25,500 words, I hit the 100 page mark. So this list looks legit to me.

However, I want to point out that these estimated page numbers refer to the number of pages you'll likely produce if you print out your manuscript from Works or Word using this formula.

There's also a "book view" aka "full screen reading" function on all my word processor programs, and when I take 100 pages in MS Word, they appear as roughly 150 pages when opened in book view. I have no idea why that is, but in case someone is working off of "book view" you'll have to adjust your page/word counts.

That's all I've got at the moment. Nothing earthshattering but...well, blah. I hope you're all having a happy hump day. :0)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the milestone!! 100 pages is a great number. Always makes me feel like I'm really being productive.

    PS- thanks for the email. I was pretty down. *hugs* Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw on Twitter that you got some writing done, Isy. Woot!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^