Monday, May 11, 2009

The Monday Grind

Drakes Beach, December


I did it - I survived Mother's Day! I was happy to have a break from all the baking I did the day before. The hazelnut cheesecake at dad's birthday was a huge hit, and I liked the soy cake. The guys were a bit snivelly about the soy, although I couldn't really taste it. They certainly didn't seem to taste it in the frosting so I said nothing. Neener neener.

The frosting turned out perfect, and didn't break down like I feared, so I give it a double A+ thumbs up. So as promised, here it is, my totally 100% legit low carb/diabetic splenda frosting recipe ala CZ. Oh, and just for the record, it has officially passed the "toddler will eat it" test AND you can use food coloring to turn it any shade you want to. I turned dad's green - emerald for May, ya know? *crickets*


Cora's Soy and Splenda Frosting

2 cups of splenda (may need to add more - to taste if not sweet enough)
1/2 cup Crisco shortening (can use butter flavored kind if you prefer)
1 tbs. butter
1 tbs. heavy whipping cream (like milk - not cool whip)
2 tbs. Torani sugar free vanilla syrup
2 tbs. soy flour (or wheat/rice/all purpose, whatever - I use soy)
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. salt
**food coloring if desired

Put the splenda in a bowl first and pour in the heavy whipping cream, Torani, and egg first. Mix with a spoon until moistened. The reason why - you even touch splenda with an electric mixer and it turns to dust. You'll have a cloud going in your kitchen. Trust me on this. *cough, cough*

Once you've blended the splenda, add the rest of the ingredients and mix on low with an electric mixer until you have a smooth frosting. It will have the texture of tub frosting, only a little lighter. It takes about 7 minutes to get it nice and fluffy. Taste test it to make sure it's sweet enough.

Of course you can add food color to this frosting. The recipe makes enough to frost a 8 or 9 inch cake with some to spare, or probably two dozen cupcakes or less - depending on how heavy you frost them.

If you do try this recipe, I hope you'll email me to let me know how you liked it/how it turned out for you. Did you kids notice, etc? Did you tweak it in ways that made it turn out uber-fabulous? I wants to know.


I'll be sending in my summer menage story today. I need to do a few tweaks here and there, and format it into a single wip. It's currently chopped into different chapter files - I did that while working the big clean up. Now to Frankenstein stitch everything back together.

I noticed this morning another round of edits have come through for Only the Moon Will Tell, and I also received my editor assignment for Wicked Desires. Woot! She's a great editor who I've worked with before, so that's a plus.

Moving along, moving along... Moonlight and Shadows is coming out this week - May 15th. I'll be doing a feature and giveaway over at the Midnight Moon Cafe, so check in now and again to find out more. I'd planned to have my spring newsletter out by this point, but it's looking like the new edition won't be out until the end of May. I promise to have that out as soon as possible. And as always, it will contain an exclusive giveaway you won't find offered anywhere else.

That's it for me. I must get to work. It's double duty today - writing and trying to keep Minibeast quiet. Hubby's on night shift again, and will stay that way well into the summer. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^