Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Break in the Story

funny pictures of cats with captions


Today is rainy and yuck out, so of course I've got to drive in it to pick up a birthday cake. Mini's big day is technically Monday, but we're having the party tomorrow at my mom's. At first we were going to have it at home, but there's no way I can store the cake here overnight. That would be five rounds of hair-pulling insanity, keeping curious little fingers off of it.

If I had a choice, I'd say to go ahead and have the darn party today, but then hubby's gotta work. He won't be home until late.

Last night I worked on my full length wip and within ten minutes, remembered why I'd put it aside in the first place: an element is missing. I'm thinking the element is a clear antagonist. I hate to say it, but I might need worksheets to get through this one. Where would another character even fit in?

Whether I like it or not, I'm going to have to add one in somewhere and back track. Maybe make it a guy who works with the heroine. Some kind of expert? I'm not sure yet, but for now I think it would be better if I stuck to figuring out the plot kinks. I started a table chart to put scenes in, and see where things can be added before "breaking" the entire story. :P

Moving along...

I recently won an auction for a vintage Black Cat Fortune Telling Game. It's in beautiful shape, all 24 cards with the instruction sheet. I've been trying to get this one for a while, so I was thrilled with the condition when it got here.

The cards have cats printed on them in six different categories: Past, Present, Future, Love Matters, General Advice, and Danger! You lay out all 24 cards in the order they're drawn into the designated row they belong in(according to category). Each row contains a fortune. So each person you read for gets 6 mini fortunes.



On the back of each and every category card there are rows of mismatched fortunes - a bit like what you'd find in a fortune cookie, only incomplete. Each snippet has a number 1-4, and as you flip over the cards in a row, you line the numbers up on the back of the cards so that there is ONE row that reads straight across - 1,2,3,4. Sound complicated? Good! I thought the directions were shit also, but bear with me.

After a bit of head tilting and WTFs, I managed to pull together a fortune. Yay, me! Here's what I got: (The Future)

1 You will receive a letter from an unexpected
2 Source containing a very flattering proposal,
3 Accept it by telephone or the
4 Opportunity will be lost to you.


Woohoo! Who knew an old board game could generate so much paranoia in one round?

That's it for me. I've gotta get dressed and go pick up the cake. I hope you all have a happy Memorial Day weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want my fortune told. Please say I have a handsome, rich, playboy with a yacht in my future. LOL. To get the inside joke, check out my blog. LOL. Mum and I had fun shopping for support hose.

    In the meanwhile I hope you have a great time tomorrow and that mini kiddo gets everything he wants and has a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLMAO! I checked your blog - that is effing hilarious! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, while searching for the answer to a mystery I had about a deck of cards that have been in my family forever, someone from Yahoo Answers Community found your blog about the Black Cat cards. Turns out, I have a similar set of cards, (Parker Brothers 1929) called "Crystal Gazing Fortune Telling Cards"

    I have been looking on the net and Ebay to see anymore info on them and a value, and I have not found anything. I am curious to know what you paid for the cards you have- you can email me at jaye580@yahoo.com if you don't mind answering :)

    Have a great day!
    ~Jaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaye, it's 7/11/2011 today - I'm not sure when you left your comment, but I just found it. It's been a while since I bought the Black Cat Cards, but I paid about $50.00 USD for them before shipping.

    I've never heard of the Crystal Gazing Fortune Telling Cards, and the best place to look them up is on Ebay to see if duplicate decks come up, and hope to get a valuation that way. Or, you can try someone like Madame Seaqueen, to see if she has any info on the deck. I follow her blog, and have it listed in the links on my blog sidebar.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you get the answers you seek!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.