Saturday, March 07, 2009

Unleashing the Magic

I'm finally home! It's been a loooong day. I've delivered promo, paid bills, picked up ARCs at the post office for the Midnight Moon Cafe. I ran back home to pick up Oldest so he could go grocery shopping with me and Mini. Whew!

I am tired. But at least I now have vanilla tea. I was fiending, and make no doubt.


No snazzy web pic today, but I did take a few family pictures of play day with Mini yesterday so I'm posting those. Mostly I was tinkering with my cell phone, but decided to snap a few while I had the battery power.

In the first one, we're playing int the "sand bar" in the driveway. This was shortly after my parents came to visit. I'm sitting in the sand with Mini - that little "bump" at the bottom of the picture is my ghostly pale knee. :P


At one point while I was fiddling with my phone, checking my horoscope or something, Mini said to me, "I'm gonna sit in the shade, Mimi." Ok, Bear, fine by me. There is no shade since we have no trees in our front yard. And that's when I looked up from my phone and realized I'm throwing off the HUGE patch of shade he's talking about. Har har, kid. We stayed outside for about an hour and a half. It was truly a beautiful afternoon.



Preggy neighbor dog (now our dog, see the divalicious picture to your left) enjoyed our company.



She lounged around with us, and before hubby arrived home and we all went inside, Mini and I tossed a ball for her to chase.



She hasn't learned to fetch yet, so Mini did the fetching. *lol* Diva Pup is slower than usual, I noticed, and she's starting to show her preggy-ness a little bit now. She doesn't know it, but she's getting a bath this weekend. It's hard to tell from her picture, but she's been digging holes again and she is grrruuungy. Yik.


Before taking on the out-of-doors adventure, Mini and I put together a Hotwheels Car Wash Adventure track out of building blocks in his room. (Picture below.) It looks more like an alien civilization to me, but then again, what do I know? The concept was multi-lane carwash with road blocks. BTW, one of these days I'll actually load the pictures in chronological order...


Today I drove all the promo items sent me to Beth, who met me at Starbucks. We loaded them in her vehicle, and verily she carried them up to the Written in the Stars. Yay. Then I came back to the local stomping grounds and checked the mail for the MMC.

Guess what... We now have some lovely print copies of Once Bitten by Kalayna Price. Be sure to keep checking the Midnight Moon Cafe to look for a chance to win a copy for yourself!

Speaking of books and writerly things... Last night I stayed up until 1:30 reading and writing. Rather, I should say unleashing the magic of Holly Lisle's "How to Write Page Turning Scenes" course. http://www.hollylisle.com/ Within MINUTES of reading the first chapter, I figured out how to fix the sketchy beginning of my nearly full length wip. I've worked out two plot issues, amped up the stakes, and given more meaning to my characters. I have no doubt now I can finish this wip, and make it better than I'd originally intended. Her Page-Turning Scene course passes the Cora Zane Clutz-free Test. I highly, highly recommend aspiring writers to add this book to their writing guide arsenal.

Another download I picked up recently that passes the CZ Clutz-free Test is STorYBook. STorYBook is open source novel plotting software / freeware that works on Windows based systems. I LOVE this software. I've been wanting to pick up a note card program but lately I haven't had the scratch for it. Storybook does the job - lets me see my plot tree - and it is FREE. I'm very impressed with the results, and the easy to use interface. *thumbs up*

At any rate...I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV...

Mini is howling from the bedroom. I think he's sleeepy. :P I better put him to bed before time runs out. BSG is coming on in 30 minutes!

Happy Friday, everyone. ~_^

2 comments:

  1. I have something similar to Storybook that is for the Mac platform, but I think you need to be smarter than a rocket scientist to figure out what it all means and how to best use it. I tried playing with it for about six months and finally gave up.

    I imagine the software is really great, and the problem lies within little ol' me.

    Technology and moi simply don't get along very well. lol

    Hugs to Mini and head pats to the canine preggers diva princess! :D

    C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day! Preggers is cute. Definitely some terrier in her, hence the digging. >.<

    I agree with Cass. Technology and I don't mix well. Y'know the scene in Jurassic Park where the computer screen goes blank in the car and Dr. Grant says, "What'd I touch?" Yeah. That's me. Just call me Dr. Grant.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^