Sunday, March 01, 2009

Greens and Yellows

Leshan Giant Buddha, Sichuan, October 2008



I got notice on Friday that my grandmother's breast cancer has returned. A few weeks ago she found a lump near her armpit, and went in to have it checked. The doctor has confirmed it's cancer, and that it's also spread to her lymph nodes and her lungs. So now they are going to have to remove her right breast (they removed the left a year or so ago), but the thing is, since she has problems with her esophogus, she can't do chemo. The family is waiting for the doctors to go over her case to find out what's going to go down. No one knows anything at this point, and it is very, very 100% effing frustrating.

I'll be attending the Written in the Stars conference on the 6th and 7th, but we're already making plans on how and when we're going to make a break for TX to see her. Minibeast has seen her only once, I think. Maybe twice. We're all really stressed, and mom called me on Friday and unloaded on me like you wouldn't believe. I understand she's upset, I am too, but oy, that was not something I needed. Thinking back on it now, it's all very surreal.

I managed to turn in my first round of edits for Moonlight and Shadows on Friday, and I almost have my pitch in order. This book needs another draft before I allow anyone to look at it, but for all respective purposes, it's whole and the ideas are all there. It's the best I can do so close to the actual conference date, and while it's still very raw, I'm very happy with the outcome of the book.

When my crit partner called over the weekend, I discussed the premise with her and she agrees that there is nothing else like this book on the market right now. Hopefully, that will turn out to be a good thing. Really it's a 50/50 chance. Know what I mean? Unique concepts can either work in your favor, or be completely out there and a very hard sell.

Whatever comes of the conference, I plan to go back and clean it up, layer a bit more meat on the story here and there, and when it's prettied up, I plan to send it to Heather Osborn at Tor. There, I've said it. Writing it down instead of keeping it to myself makes it seem like a goal not to just think about, but one that must be met. My own personal crack of the whip.

On a completely different subject, the epic drama with the preggy neighbor dog has been resolved. Hubby went and talked to the neighbors today. They didn't know their dog was even preggy or even that she'd gone in heat. We have agreed to take on preggy dog, and have her spayed and vaccinated after she has her popples in a few weeks. When the puppies are old enough, the neighbors will find homes for them. So as of today, Mini has a doggie all his own. Once Oldest gets the weeds out of the back fenced in area - it's a bit like a jungle back there right now - we'll move her dog house back there. Tomorrow I'll have to go and get a doggie bed for her like Pitbull's.

I finished reading Bentley Little's The Vanishing, and honestly I can't think of a simple way to describe this book because there are so many characters, and so many individual little stories that happen with the context of one massive event.




Wealthy CEOs all go on murderous rampages and kill their families. All the men have secret physical deformities. There are animal-faced children born to some of these men, and someone has gone back and begun to kill them off. It all goes back to the California gold rush, and a legend the Native Americans believed : those that take the gold from the area near this one black hill have stolen from demons and are thereby cursed.

Most interesting of all, there are sensual yet grotesque creatures that lure people into the woods, and when they mate with them, flowers and foliage bloom. The final event was a little underwhelming, and there are quite a few questions that are left unanswered at the end because no one knows what the "demons" are, but the build up to it was fantastic. I loved the book, and recommend it to horror fans who are looking for something different.

After scratching that one off my TBR list, I've picked up two others off the TBR stack. I'm simultaneously reading Flying Modern Jet Fighters (book research) and Rimrunners by CJ Cherryh. Sometimes her books just a little too heavy for me and I give up on them, but this one looks pretty good so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm craving something a little different from the usual.

At any rate, there it is, my weekend in a nutshell. Next week will be a blur a preparation for the conference and waiting for phone calls about Grammy. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your grandma. I remember my grandmaw's fight with breast cancer, and know how tough it is on the family. Feel free to vent to me if you need to. :)

    Thanks for writing a little about the Bentley book. I'll have to pick that one up. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cora,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your gran. I really hope the doctors can do something to help her. I'm here if you need anything.
    T.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{hugs}} Cora. I'm sorry about your grandmother. Thoughts and healing prayers for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers to u and ur grandma~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Cora, That's sad news about your Grandmother. I'm keeping your family in my thoughts, and am sending love and light.

    Good work on the story. ^_^ You're right about different--they all say they're looking for it, but it always makes you wonder just HOW different they will go. *sigh*

    Yay for Preggers! Now she has a real home. Still wish I could have a puppy. The neighbors got a new puppy and I about vaulted the fence to snatch it. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind comments, everyone. I'm sorry I'm so slow to respond. Things are in chaos right now here at home with both gram, and now my dad. If you can spare a prayer for us, I very much appreciate it.

    Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^