Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Cancellation Tessellation

DareToBeDifferent



This morning I called my carpool partner at RWA, the RWA conference chair, and the hotel where I was scheduled to stay for the Written in the Stars conference, and I cancelled. All of it. If that is not all one great big steaming pile of suckness, I don't know what is. I'm out the conference and the money. I'd rather have just donated the funds and not have gone through this. I can assure you that.

Needless to say, I'm not feeling very charitable and happy today, so when I got a random telemarketer calling me while I'm waiting for news about my dad, you can imagine that did not go over well. Who in their right effing mind is going to "talk to someone about lowering your credit card interest rate", especially with someone you don't know who - a phone solicitor! I feel I should get karma points for not telling that woman to take a flying leap. And by the way, how many times do I have to register for the DO NOT CALL list before these people actually get it?

I'm meeting up with my carpool partner this Friday to pass off the promo items that were donated for the conference, along with other things I have bundled, and the cases of diet Dr. Pepper I bought for the Meet and Greet. On the upside, I guess I can stop worrying about that pitch...

My dad is being tentatively released from the hospital today, so there is a bit of good news. On top of the newly diagnosed diabetes and complications thereof, he has an infection in a couple of major organs. They've let him come home, albeit heavily, heavily medicated. Of course, if he so much as sneezes they expect us to rush him back to the hospital. I imagine if their health insurance was worth more than the paper it's printed on, the doctors probably would've kept him in the hospital.

Mom is still kind of in denial about dad's diabetes, thinking "he'll get over it" and "it's just because he's got the infections". I'm too tired to try and talk to her about it at this point. She'll figure it out sooner or later that diabetes doesn't just go away. I've had it since 2000, you think she'd know that by now, God love her. I'm taking the day off to get caught up on laundry and get things organized here at home. Over the next week I've got to be here in case there is an emergency. Here it is noon, and I still haven't gotten Minibeast out of his pajamas. *sigh* Is it Friday yet?


Writing Adventure Group Assignment #2:

Go outside, and sit for a minute. (This can be in your yard or garden, on a city street, in a park, in a shopping centre, where ever you choose!) Soak in everything you see, hear, smell, etc, for a moment, and then describe something that you did not notice at first. This can be anything! Just make it something that you overlooked when you first arrived. Keep your descriptions as concrete as possible!

Post the results on your blog, and read this post about the Writing Adventure Group for information on how to notify Nixy so your post will be properly included in next week’s list. Deadline: next Tuesday, March 10th.

Okay, so here goes. My writing adventure of the week:

Sitting outside on the hospital steps, trying to get a cellphone signal - stupid, AT&T. It's sunny, but the wind is cold and my fleece CareBear jacket isn't quite enough. Crushed cigarette on the ground beside my boot despite the cement ashtray/bin near the entrance. Some people...

I get up and step around the corner of the building into a patch of sunlight where it's hopefully a little warmer. The parking lot is full but quiet, the landscaped trees rustling. Nearby sounds of traffic. I look up and two people are sitting under the vestibule of a nearby building watching me, probably wondering if I'm calling someone to deliver good news or bad. Instead, I've reached hubby's voice mail. Press 3 to leave a message.



Last week's Writing Adventures:

Cora Zane - Stars Will Cry
Sharon Donovan
Adam Heine - Authors Echo
Nancy Parra - This Writer’s Life
Criss - Criss Writes
Carol - DMWCarol
Nixy Valentine
Marsha Moore - Write On!
Jesse Blair - SexFoodPlay
Jackie Doss - The Pegasus Journals

9 comments:

  1. Oh my God, Cora, I'm SO sorry to hear about your dad. :( I'm also sorry that you had to cancel the convention, but I totally understand why.

    *sending virtual positive thoughts your way*

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Yolanda. I tell ya, it's been one of those weeks where it's one thing after another. I'm definitely ready to see some rainbows. Know what I mean? *_*

    On the upside, Dad is doing much better and is at least able to rest at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if any insurance is worth what they take from you. They sent my dad home from the hospital way sooner than I thought was wise when he still had pneumonia. *shakes fist at medical system*

    The writing adventure thing is pretty cool!

    btw, Word Verification: begin Seriously? Is that a cosmic hint, or something??

    Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. {{hugs}} I'm so sorry about your conference and your Dad. I hope things will be looking up from here on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really sorry to hear about your dad, Cora! And that you had to cancel your convention plans on top of it all. Being worried and down hearted can be tough. You're in my thoughts! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing adventure was fantastic. I could picture the scene as well as getting a feel of the mood ... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your piece for the writer's group before I read your opening comments. I really enjoyed it, because you left almost everything to the imagination. Like the voyeurs you mentioned, it was up to me to determine why you were at the hospital, on those steps and making that call. That seems to me to be very difficult to do. I know it is for me. Instinct tells us to explain ourselves, but sometimes it is much more effective if we don't.

    Then I read the rest of the post and some but not all of my questions were answered. There is still mystery, though. And the facts made the piece more moving.

    Sorry about your parent's health issues. I am in the midst of that situation as well. I feel for you.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your father and the canceled convention plans, Cora. Hope for the best for your dad.

    The WAG was sort of stark and bleak, which I think was the intent. I think it worked well.

    By the way, AE Rought, I frequently get a kick out of Word Verification words. Might as well have fun with them, eh?
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you're going through this. Glad to hear he's doing better.

    I also read the WAG before the rest of the post. I figured the news you were sharing on the call was not good, from the tone of the descriptions. (I hate littering smokers, too.) But I love the Care Bear jacket! I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.