Thursday, February 26, 2009

Working on my Pitch

I've officially dragged out all my old workshop sheets about honing your pitch, and I'm going over them faithfully, while sorting over one very roughly constructed manuscript and trying to figure out how to add in a story arc without requiring total reconstruction on what's already there.

I've been following the NOLA pre-conference Plotting Bootcamp and it made me realize I had a few unseen plot holes that need resolution, and oy me, this is one of those times it's a miracle I have any hair left. Already this book hasn't been the easiest thing to pull together, so I'm almost hesitant to tinker too much, but I see how it could be so much richer, so much more complex and interesting, and bah. Do I go back in and get my fingers dirty, or do I leave it as is and look at that book every day for the rest of my life thinking "It could have been so much more."

Why, oh, why do I do this to myself? I already know I won't be able to leave it as is, but there is still the internal wrangling. I can't seem to help it. Anyway, this is going to be my major project for the year anyway, so I really shouldn't let pitch anxiety get me down.

Speaking of books and writerly things....

Mario Acevedo is one of my new favorite authors. I absolutely loved The Undead Kama Sutra. I was browsing around the EOS website and found this little gem:



About Jailbait Zombie...

Vampires versus Zombies, round one . . .

Vampire detective Felix Gomez has seen a lot of weird things since becoming one of the undead—nymphomaniacs, aliens, and X-rated bloodsuckers, just to name a few—but now he comes face-to-face with the worst sort of undead.

To stop a ravenous army of zombies, Gomez must team up with a precocious teen with clairvoyant powers whose cooperation comes at a price: she won't help unless Felix makes her a vampire . . . if the zombies don't get her first.






I usually do not like detective stories of any kind, but occassionally I'll come across a book where I'll make an exception. This is one of those times. I must read this book. This one is hereby added to my already towering TBR stack. ~_^

That's it for me, I better get back to work. Happy Thursday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate it when you KNOW you need to make the changes, but doing it almost seems too much? Yeah. I'm there with you. *sigh* You'll be happier for making the changes, hon.

    The zombie book looks like one you'd love. It has ZOMBIE in the title ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arg, yes! And I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm gonna do the changes. I've already pulled out my Plot Clinic book and reviewing how to "safely" tuck in that story arc.

    LOL @ Zombie! Yeah, I know...I can't seem to help myself. :P

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^