Monday, January 19, 2009

Open a Window

Na Bolan window ledge



As the saying goes, when a door shuts in your face....

I finished up a short fantasy wip yesterday, and spent a few hours polishing it while the guys had their fun time goofing around in the yard. By late last night, it was ready to send off. I've only been working on this story for a couple of days (the story itself is quite short), and had it in mind to send it to an open-ended anthology. However, the closer I got to finishing it, the more it nagged at me about the open-end thing. No deadline date. I decided I better email the editors and check to see if it was still on since it had been open for a while. Sure enough, it was open, but they were mainly looking for sci-fi shorts to round out the curves. Well, foo.

On the other hand, it's not like I've lost out. I still have a completed fantasy story to send around, and I can think right off hand three places it could fit. But I plan to wait a few days and explore my options a bit further.

Today I really need to get my house in order. I didn't worry about the look of too much it while hubster was home, but now that he's back in TX and with just me and the kids here I can see it needs a through cleaning. Ah, Mondays....

I also have a critique I need to get to today, and I'd like to work on my "to pitch" wip a bit. As far as that story goes, I'm thinking a bit of perspective from the hero is in order, because right now he has that whole callous bastard thing going on. I know his motivations, but a reader is gonna need some insight into his character to justify any interest the heroine has in him. If he'll cooperate and talk with me today, I'll jot down a little about what's going on in his head.

If I have some time toward the evening, I really need to take out a page from the vampire story and spiffy it up. I need to get that story sent out fairly soon.

That's about it for me today. Lots of things to do, so few hours in the day. Happy Monday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, girl! Busy busy. Sorry you missed out on the antho, but there are many publishers out there, always other opportunities. :o)

    word verification: ravipla
    Sounds like a new Italian pasta dish. "Yes...I think I'll have the Ravipla, please." Snort.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^