Thursday, January 22, 2009

4 AM Tea Party

funny pictures of cats with captions


OK. So it's not really a tea party, but I'm up, having tea, and on the net. Close enough. I woke up around 2:30 and thought I'd work on the opening of that story, but after about twenty minutes of work, I somehow ended up on youtube watching "funny skii accidents". I gotta say, there is something therapeutic about watching people attempt to walk or glide on snow after they've attached something to their feet.

Despite the funnies, I managed to get a little bit of revisions in that WTF beginning. I changed the setting, took out more than half of the lumpy details, and so now the first few paragraphs are definitely leaner and meaner. It gets to the core of what's going on in the scene in that first paragraph. I think I can live with that.

Further along in the story, everything is kind of shuffled around on the page. I basically did a stop-start writing on this one, where I started with the strongest scene I had in mind, then jumped around to write the other scenes. So I'm wondering how much smoothing I'm going to have to do when everything is "in place". When I read through the scenes they seem to flow very well, but then again there's no way to really know until the story is completed. Whatever the case, I kinda need to cut my slacktime back considerably so I can have this one out the door by early next week if I'm going to make the deadlines for submission. That, and because hubby's birthday is next week, and I really don't want to have to be thinking about this one lingering story by then.

I don't know what prompted it, but I started reading Kathleen Morgan's Demon Prince again yesterday. I've only read it, oh, about fifty times! It's listed as a futuristic on amazon, but it's really more of a fantasy romance. And honestly, I'm not really sure what it is about the book that makes it a keeper. It's not terribly sophisticated like some romances are now, but it's one of my favorites. Every so often I end up taking it down and reading it again in bits and pieces. I guess you can say it's one of my writing "recharge" books.

It's almost 4:30, so I should get back to work. Just a few more paragraphs, and I'll call it a night. (Or would that be a morning? Hm...)

3 comments:

  1. You're a puzzle writer like me? Cool! I write scenes out of sequence, and then fit them in later.

    Best of luck with finishing that story!

    If there is a book that I read over and over, it's The Cuckoo's Egg, by CJ Cherryh. And it isn't in any genre in which I write, but the poor thing is battered from the amount of re-reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AE, with most of my stories I write the choppiest drafts - you just wouldn't believe! It's all over the place, then I go back and fill in all the holes, plaster, and sand, then rinse and repeat. I've written very few stories in a linear way. I admire writers that can do that. But then again, whatever works, right? ~_^

    Ok. Now I'm curious about The Cuckoo's Egg. I'm gonna have to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a book that I've read a few times, The Last Convertible by Anton Myrer. It's a World War II fiction novel that was first published back in 1974. It's not a romance, although it explores the romantic relationships of the main characters. I first read it back in 1978 and again last year. It received mixed reviews, but I love it for the depth of character development.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^