Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tongue Curling and Coffee

A certain, silly someone came to me yesterday to show me he'd learned how to curl his tongue. He wanted me to take a dozen pictures of it. LOL! I ended up snapping a shot of it with my cell phone. Ah, milestones....

Yesterday Oldest came home with "news" about his grades. Skating by has caught up with him at last. He's always coasting, and when his grades start looking dire he'll put in a little effort. Hubby and I have been after him about that since grade school, but you can lead a horse to water, as the saying goes. This time the last minute effort didn't pay off, and he's stuck with low grades. The big talk that followed the news had more to do with him owning up to who is truly responsible for those low grades, instead of blaming someone else for not being "fair" and giving him more chances to make up the difference. Nevermind all along he should've been doing his work. You can tell him repeatedly, but it never seems to sink in.

I was talking to hubby (who is still sick) on the phone about it this morning, and I feel sorry for Oldest because he's gonna be soooo disenchanted when he gets out into the world and has to fend for himself. Success doesn't happen without work. It's going to be a hard lesson for him, but what can you do?

I discovered just how far gone my sense of smell/taste. I haven't been able to smell anything for over a month now, but I didn't know it had affected my ability to taste. Ha! I ran around doing this and that this morning, and poured myself a cup a coffee. I left it on the counter for a few minutes while doing some such thing, came back, and took the cup with me to the computer. I sipped and sipped. Funny, but about half way through the cup, I realized the coffee didn't feel as "foamy" as usual. Well, I looked in at the coffee and realized I'm drinking it black - no heavy cream. Hm. If hubby were here he'd laugh his ass off at me, because I am YIK! in regards to coffee straight up. So therefore, it is best he doesn't know. Ever. I went back and stirred in a spoonful of heavy cream and...well, honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.

C'est la vie.

4 comments:

  1. LOL about your youngest and the tongue rolling. Do you know a lot of people can't do that?

    And ugh on Oldest's grades. Totally been there with you. Six months left of school before he discovers the 'real world'. Which has me worried that he'll live in my basement the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Mini's a camera ham. I'll have to tell him that some people can't roll their tongues. He'll get a kick out of it.

    See that's the fear...the basement thing. Oy vey. ~_~' Hubby and me, we're already talking about trade school for Oldest. At least if something happens to us, he'll be able to feed himself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get back to normal soon. I've never had ANY sense of smell, btw. Just one of my weirdities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Charles! And oy, I miss my sense of smell...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^