Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The River Flows In You

Hubby is off to work in Texas tomorrow, so at the moment he's ticklefighting a Minibeast on the couch. *lol*

I was barely out of bed this morning when my cell phone rang. It was Oldest, which scared the living crap out of me. My brain instantly switched into panic mode: what could he possibly be calling me about this early in the morning? Suspension? Fighting? Referral? None of the above? I can barely hear him, and he says, "Hi, mom, there was a gas leak at school so classes are canceled. Can you come pick me up from the fire station?" *_*

So Oldest, Mini, and Hubby are all home with me today. The guys took a drive into town earlier, Oldest wanted to go to the library, and Hubster wanted to see what movies were released today. He picked up a copy of Wanted with Angelina Jolie in it, and a copy of The Polar Express.

Onto writerly things.... (Lotsa stuff, so bear with me!)

I've been reading a lot of YA and old horror anthologies for the past two months, just to keep the mind fresh. There's a particular horror story I've been trying find a copy of for ages - it's about this woman who goes to the Amazon and takes a native for her lover. The lover, Pablo, tells her how some people along the river aren't really people, but animals in disguise; shapeshifters that come out to mate then return to the jungle, the cycle of replishment complete. It's a horror story, with a truly frightening twist at the end - not only that, but the writing is nothing short of superb. The story is Riverenos, by Trish Janeshutz, and it's part of a horror anthology called Stalkers.

I give Stalkers, or rather that story in particular, Riverenos, my absolute highest, highest recommendation. It was the very first shapeshifter novella I ever read, and it literally shaped who I am as an author today. That's powerful storytelling, and make no doubt!

I couldn't remember the name of the book, the story, or the author and it has driven me half crazy for years. I lost the book when we moved into the house we're currently living in, and I never could figure out the title so I could replace the missing copy. Well, very recently, the Amazon.com horror gurus recognized my description of it. *SQUEE!* I was so thrilled to actually know what the story was and who wrote it, that I 1.) ran right out and ordered a copy of the anthology it comes from, and 2.) did a search for the author to let her know that her story had been on my mind since I read it in 93'/94'.

Come to find out, the author still writes! She now writes suspense under the name T.J. MacGregor. If you're looking for a new author to add to your autobuy list, you should definitely check her out. Her writing style will lure you in like nothing else.

As for my own writing, I'm trying to hurry and get this one particular story out the door. I lost the majority of it when Old Silver died - I thought I'd preserved it, but it was basically a note skeleton. I've rebuilt it from those notes, and it's now only pages away from completion. I've been working on revisions for far long than I would've liked but the time restraint, and the slim work count required of it, have made it difficult to wrap up. I'm almost there, though, and I won't stop until I see this monster through to the end.

I still haven't heard back about my latest Werekind story that's floating about in submission land. I sent it out in October, I think, so when I'm finished with the current story I'm working on, I'm probably going to drag it out of my "sent" folder and ship it out elsewhere. I figure since I must sit around and wait for the fishes to bite, I might as well cast a few extra lines into the water. Know what I mean?

Last but not least, I have a book to give away. It's Forever My Lady, by Jeff Rivera. The book is an urban romance that I featured on the blog a few weeks back. Jeff has kindly donated a copy for giveaway, so I'm holding a contest and adding a fun promo pack filled with all kinds of author goodies to sweeten the deal. All you have to do for a chance to win is post in the comments on my blog between now and December 6th at noon, which is when I'll draw a name at random. If you're unable to post to blogger, you can enter by sending at email with Forever My Lady Giveaway in the subject line to corazane (at) aol.com. I'll post the names of the winners Saturday night (December 6th). Good luck to those who enter!

Oh! For aspiring writers, Holly Lisle has created a FREE video writing help series that's available for view at Blip TV. Check it out here: http://hollylisleonwriting.blip.tv/#1516084

Whew! That's all the goods for me today. I need to jump on this WIP while I have the chance. It gets kind of hectic in the late afternoon, so it's either now, or wait until after 10pm to get started. I hope you all have a Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Cora!

    Your blog is great. I’ve found tons of information and writing resources here, and now a contest too! I don’t know how you find the time to get it all done, but I’m glad you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neoindra! How are you? Glad you could drop by, and I'm glad you like the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m doing well. My family’s recovering from a horrible cold, but tis the season, right? I loved your son’s hair, btw. My boys will never be able to go blond; their hair is just too black. I once tried to convince my hubby to get blue tips, he didn’t go for it though. Oh well, maybe when my little ones get bigger :) Hope you guys have a good holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cora,

    I'm really looking forward to your new werekind. I hope you will be hearing soon from someone about it! Good luck!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^