Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ray Bradbury and Writing

It's just me and the Mini bear today. Oldest is back to school, and Hubby left the house this morning for Lafayette to fill out his paperwork. I imagine he'll be calling me soon since it's nearly lunch time.

I've been cleaning most of the morning, doing laundry, dishes, sweeping and mopping floors. The house truly needs a thorough, top to bottom cleaning after having all the guys home. Trying to keep it up with them all home is a lesson in futility. :P

The WIP is a mere inch from completion. Nothing left but the love scenes to revise. I finished everything to that point early this morning - around 2 am. Hubby got up about that time, so I thought I better visit with him a few minutes and hit the sack. Finishing the love scenes were the first thing on my mind this morning, but of course Mini had other ideas - like Diego and breakfast. ^_^ When I finally got around to the computer, the phone rang, so I decided to hold off at least until the afternoon. There's no point in pulling my hair out. It'll be done when it's done. Besides, it never helps to rush through.

Last night, I poked through a few videos, and found this really good one featuring Ray Bradbury. I love his stuff. The first thing I ever read of his was Something Wicked This Way Comes, and then I moved on to Farenheit 451 and the Martian Chronicles. Funny really, because it's not the genre he writes that particularly grabs me so much as it is his writing voice. I have read "Wicked" and "Farenheit" at least a dozen times each over the years, and there is something magical about each. If you haven't read either of those books, do yourself a favor. I don't think a single character has hung with me the way Clarice from Farenheit 451 has. She wasn't the main character, I think really just a subconscious symbol for Montag, but there was something very striking about her. She was the first character that I stumbled on that her DIALOGUE jumped at me. You didn't know a lot about her; she was a bit like a ghost the hero, Montag, discovers. She's open yet vague, mysterious yet crystal clear. A deep thinker in a time and place where that's the worst thing you could possibly be. I think of her when I'm writing sometimes.

Anyway, here's the clip. Ray Bradbury on writing....



I hope you all have a happy hump day!

4 comments:

  1. I always loved Ray Bradbury's work. Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, and Clarke are some of my favorite SF authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tackle hugs* Hey, lady! I'm so glad to see you out and about.

    I've read quite a bit of Bradbury, and his speeches are always so motivating. Can you imagine 42 short stories in a year? I'm quite sure I'd have a massive brain malfunction. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely clip, and so sad too. Thanks, Cora. I started off reading Bradbury and Clarke and Wyndham. They really inspired me in a lot of my earlier writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, I don't know how I missed your comment! Yes, it is a bit sad. Ray B. was one of the first authors where it really clicked with me. :*)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^