Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sanctuary has Great Hair

I did it! I sat through an episode of Sanctuary over the weekend.

Now, admittedly, I'm not much of a TV watcher, so don't be expecting some gush fest over this show - you're not going to get it. It's really difficult for me to sit through an episode of some show I haven't been with from the beginning, and know very little about.

However, I've been seeing the Sanctuary preview/commericals/trailers plastered all over the place so when I sat down to do some reading a few nights ago, I noticed the show was coming on and I had to check it out. I assumed it was to do with something paranormal - and it is, but not in the way I expected.

I'll start by saying I like Amanda Tapping. I liked her in the Stargate TV series, so I figured at least the acting would be tolerable if the storyline flopped. In the first few minutes, of this particular episode, Amanda Tapping's character is giving a lecture about a kind of mutation in humans, and just as they show the picture of the human brain on the screen to explain more about this, she gets an anonymous note that she is about to die in three minutes. Oh, and that she looks hot. Whatever.

She goes out into the corridor and there is this sorta-kinda-but-not-really-cute-in-a-geeky-way guy out there. Apparently they are long lost friends, blah, blah. He asks for a kiss, and before you know it, he's tricked her into planting a smacker right on his mouth. I can forgive the elementary school pick up lines, but the story jumped the shark the minute it was revealed this guy was supposed to be Nikola Tesla.

I know there are a lot of people who go for rewriting historical figures into fiction, but this is one thing that annoys the every loving bejeezus out of me.... particularly if I know anything about the historical figure. I will say it made me ill to see Tesla portrayed as an evil vampire who seeks out help from Amanda Tapping to make an undead army to take over the world!


What are we going to do tonight, Brain?


We are talking about a man who reportedly never had a relationship with a woman, was cheated by Thomas Edison, and eventually died in poverty. Before he was even cold in his grave the government came in to pick his bones papers clean. To turn around and paint him as an evil vampire in a TV show...well, it's just disgusting.

I sat through it, however, and I think the show is OK. Probably the best thing I can say about it is the special f/x. Oh, and Emilie Ullerup's hair.



She is seriously rocking those hot blonde bangs.

As for the rest of the show...meh. I'd probably sit through another episode if I had nothing better to do, no stories to write. But to make it a weekly thing? I think I'll wait until they bring back Battlestar Galactica in 2009.

6 comments:

  1. The kids and I sat through it, too. I always liked her as Sam on Stargate, but something about this show is just meh for me. Stargate messed with bits of history, too, but I don't like the total historical adulteration (Tesla/vampire), and I'm not sure if I'll bother with it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly recognized Amanda Tapping with dark hair, but she looks good as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the pilot when it first came out and had a hard time staying awake. So a couple days later they had a reshowing and I tried to watch it again. Well, being tired wasn't what was making me fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adulteration is pretty spot on way to put it. Poor Tesla. They didn't even get his personality right. If he weren't deceased, he could sue for slander. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucinda, I agree! Amanda looked good with dark hair. I didn't recognize her at first, though, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I totally missed the pilot, but I thought since it was so early on in the series, I could catch up. Just when it started getting interesting - talking about mutant brains and all that, they had to go change the subject... :P

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.