Saturday, November 01, 2008

NaNo Madness Begins

I've talked to at least a dozen people who are geared up for NaNoWriMo. If you're doing NaNo this year, I wish you the very best of luck! *pom swish*

I'm not registered this year since I must finish this current project before starting a new one. I have a book to clean up that needs to be rewritten in several areas, and I'm on a deadline to boot.

For those who are interested in the craft of writing, I'm recommending Beginnings, Middles, & Ends by Nancy Kress. It's available through Barnes and Noble, and at Amazon.com. Please note that the book does have a white, variant cover, so be sure to search by author, and check the publication dates to ensure you get the latest printing available. (Incase updates were made to the content.)

This book is currently on my nightstand. It was on author Patricia Kay's recommended book list at the NW Houston Lone Star conference, and I ordered a copy as soon as I was back home. After reading only a few pages on conflict, I figured out how to make chapter two of my current project end with a stronger hook to propell the story events into chapter three.

If you struggle with specific sections of your manuscripts, Beginnings, Middles, and Ends is definitely worth a look. It's designed to help you write a solid manuscript that shows a clear inciting incident from the first chapter, and how to follow it through to the end of the book. This is one for the keeper shelf.

I got an email this morning that Wicked Temptation has received 4.5 Blue Ribbons from Romance Junkies. To read the review, click here.



That's it for me today. I hope you all have a successful NaNo day! Remember, you only have to write 1667 words a day to have 50k by the end of the month. Now, write, write, write! *whip*

Happy Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. Cora - Thank you! I didn't register for NaNo this year either - I've got edits and other things so I knew I just couldn't commit. But OMG I'm feeling like such a slacker because I didn't sign up. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has deadlines and things to meet.

    And congrats on the good review (but your link didn't work for me - the 'h' in http is missing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the ribbons! And thanks for the tip on the Nancy Kress book. I'm putting it on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leah! I never would've caught the broken link. It's all fixed now. :*)

    Nope, no NaNo for me. I would have liked to give it a try this year since my writing has come such a long way since the last year I participated, but deadlines have to come first. Maybe next year I'll be able to jump into the fray. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jenn! :) BTW, the section on "middles" in the Nancy Kress book is priceless. Lots of good advice in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I've signed up for the madness, despite working at the dayjob this weekend, and having to go to court tomorrow (long story), and I'm seriously angsting about it. Oy.
    But I still managed to get 1500 written. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Ann! 1500 words is a good writing day! *pom poms*

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^