Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NW Houston Conference Shots and Low Batteries

Worst.Picture.Ever. What can I say? I promised pictures and as bad some may be, I'm going to deliver!

As soon as hubby and I arrived at the hotel, I had to run up to the room and freshen up for the Meet and Greet.... change clothes, put on makeup, and those too-tight boots of death that I will never ever wear again.

OH! And I had to test the camera, hence this little gem of a picture (top left). As soon as I took it out the bag I realized the camera was low on batteries. Would the flash even go off? I did a test to find out. From the heavy-lidded, drunken look on my face - as you can tell, it worked. So, yes, I did just flash myself at close range with my own camera in that picture. Because I'm snazzy like that. :P





The agent panel

Lynda Krzywicki (holding mike) is a member of the NW Houston RWA Chapter, and is the conference coordinator. That lady never stopped moving the whole time. She's a wonderwoman, I swear. Next in the picture - (semi-standing, in red jacket) Carolyn Grayson of the Ashley Grayson Literary Agency, (standing) Becca Stumpf of the Prospect Agency, and (sitting) Michelle Grajkowski of Three Seas Literary Agency.

As I said in a previous post, I got caught at the back of the room at the conference, so I don't think there is a single picture in there without catching the back of someone's head. For shame! But if you can overlook that, I think you can get a pretty good idea....





Here Michelle Grajkowski is answering questions about Three Seas Literary Agency. No one else stood up to speak, so I couldn't get great pictures without getting up and moving around. I didn't want to interrupt, so I stayed put.


Key speaker, author Patricia Kay gave a wonderful workshop series on hooks, scenes, sequels, structure, and prologues. She gave great advice on writing a book that doesn't fizzle and hooks the reader in the first five pages. I took a heap of notes - six pages. I learned a lot about technique I didn't know, and when I came home I ordered Scenes and Structure by Jack Bickham, which was on her recommended book list print out.


Avalon Books author and NW Houston RWA President, Cheri Jetton. She was the chair for the contemporary series category. This woman is a peach! ^_^


This is from the award ceremony. One of the winners comes up to accept a red envelope from Cheri Jetton. Melinda announced the winners - she's there standing to the right.

Those are a handful of shots to give an idea of what went on. For pictures of the Friday night Meet and Greet, you can go here: http://www.northwesthoustonrwa.com/html/after_conference.html

BTW, if you click to view the Meet and Greet pics, prepare to be tempted by shots of buffet tables. Just sayin'. Oh, and that's me in the black and white striped sweater. In one pic I'm drinking a cup of iced tea and talking to Melinda, who was introducing me to a few people. You can also kinda sorta see my face in picture 4 (down from the top), where Melinda is standing on the stairs to take a pic. I stayed in that one spot for most of the night, eyeing the brownies with Michelle Grajkowski. :P

Fun times, fun times.... I can't wait to do it again (in Shreveport) in March!

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing other people's pictures where they don't look all glammed up and gorgeous. And you're very very very brave for posting that pic, Cora ;)

    Good that you noticed your batteries were low BEFORE you got down to the conference. (And good thing your pics didn't turn out all orange the way mine did last month. *still grumbling about that*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I'm definitely not glammed up in that pic. We'd just climbed out of the Jeep after a six hour drive. ^_^

    I went through the entire conference with low batteries I'm sad to say. Some of the pics did turn out a bit dark/orangey but just a handful of them. So that was all to the good. Next time I'll remember to be more prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^