Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tech Support x 6

Bold Twilight


I'm mentally exhausted. I have been working with "Pinkie" the pink computer since this afternoon, trying to get some of the software registered so I can actually use the blasted thing. I managed to get Word 2007 registered, easy peasy! But from around noon onward I spent the remainder of the day playing phone tag with Dell and Verizon Wireless to try and get my broadband card activated.

Pain.In.The.Ass. That is putting it kindly. First of all, Dell took down all my information, signed me up for 1 year of service for Verizon. Then I had to wait ages with both Old Silver and Pinkie on so I could wait for a verification email from Verizon. I finally get it, and it gives me instructions to call Verizon. I do call Verizon, and guess what? They can't find my info. The people at Dell put down my name was Corrine and so they had to track me down through all this nit-picky stuff. That tech support person then transfered me to the 4646 number to accept their terms and conditions in order to activate the card. OK. This is an automated system, and of course, it doesn't accept the # the representative gave me. So, when that happens, I get transferred to a different tech support lady. She goes through all the same stuff, and what happens? She puts me back on the 4646 hotline. *sigh* I know what is going to happen when I put in the wireless number, but I do it anyway. More of the same. I'm tranferred to yet another tech support lady.

By this time I'm doing breathing exercises to keep from losing my cool entirely. I've been on the phone for over two hours. I tell this lady there is no point trying the 4646 number because it's not going to accept my wireless number. So, instead of bothering with that, she just transers me over to a tech support hub out of Dallas. This guy was nice. However, geez, they need to turn up their phones! I could barely hear anyone speaking, and I'm sitting there trying to hear this guy out thinking, If I were hearing impaired like my dad, this would be a major issue...

Anyway, this guy in Dallas needs a RAISE. Seriously, Verizon. We go through several rounds with my card, and on the third round, I get a little icon shaped a bit like a tree pop up. Hm. "What's that? I ask." Ah, it's a roaming icon.

The tech guy tells me that what's going on is this: although I have a few bars signifying service, there are no towers in our area, so they can't do an initial connection. What do I need to do now? Well, in order to make Verizon work, I have to take my laptop and go on a road trip to somewhere with Verizon local tower coverage, initiate the activation, then I can go back home and use Verizon.

Are you effing kidding me? *_*

Alas, no I am not. There was nothing more he could do, so we hung up, and I called Dell back. Hubby was foaming at the mouth, worried about roaming charges. I'd already discussed that with Verizon, and they told me as long as I'm in the US, it's not a problem.

I use Old Silver to go online and find out where my nearest tower would be. Uh, 65 miles is the closest. Yeah. I'm not driving that unless Verizon is paying for my gas! Sorry, Charlie. No dice.

I get back on the phone with Dell (again!!) and ask them what I'm supposed to do. They put a broadband card in my computer that I can't use. The woman was a peach. When I told her what Verizon tech support told me, she didn't believe it. She put me on hold and called Verizon herself, and when she came back on the line, she was stunned. "Well, you learn something new everyday..." Kudos to you, my friend.

There turned out to be 3 things I could do: A.)Send back my laptop, pay an additional $200 to have an AT&T card installed. B.)Call Verizon back and have them locate the very nearest tower and drive thataway. C.) Ditch Verizon and go to my local AT&T and get a mobile adapter.

Without a doubt, I am going with C.

No there is the little matter with the 1 year sign up with Verizon I have to take care of... So, once again I'm back on the phone with Verizon. (Just for the record, I now have their tech support number emblazoned in my memory.) Thankfully, the woman didn't give me any issues, nor did she charge me 1 human soul to cancel the service. Fan-frickin-tastic.

So, here it is, almost 8 o'clock at night, CST. I still DO NOT have internet hooked up to Precious Pinkie. On top of that, Old Silver keeps spazing out with the scintillating scotomas on me every time I go to do something important. *sigh*

On another note, I'm up another 1k on my story. I've been plowing ahead, and plan to work toward another 1k tonight. I found a gap in the story and I know the perfect scene to fill it in. Wish me luck!

That's about it for me. I'm tired, and I need to call Oldest and tell him to get his buns to the house. Tomorrow is F-R-I-D-A-Y!!! *pom pom swish* Ooh, and don't forget! Tomorrow is also International Talk Like A Pirate Day. ARR!!

2 comments:

  1. sigh.

    it seems as though

    nothing's ever easy these days...

    exhausting.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped by to say hi and to let you know that my computer is dead. I hope to replace it with a laptop tomorrow. Wish me luck. :)
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.