Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Plotting Mayhem

peggy's cove day2-7


It's been a long day, but a pretty good one. This is the first chance I've had to really sit down and blog, so I'm going to go with it while the opportunity presents itself... *thumbs up*

The day before yesterday I reached a stumped part on that 50k+ novel, which I guess I should give a blogging name since I've been talking about it on and off since completing the Bites story. Anyway, the OMG-I-Can't-Believe-I-Got-That-Far-And-Quit story is an erotic futuristic romance, and it's currently sitting at 53k.

So last night, I was working on the ending and realized I didn't remember enough of the middle to keep pushing onward. Sooo, I ditched writing on it, flipped back to the beginning and started reading it. The next time I look up, I'm 100 pages into the book, it's almost midnight. The beginning isn't bad. But I also discovered that Chapter 9 is where the book started to unravel - and that's where I stopped reading.

Well, it didn't really unravel, as the book isn't even finished, but I saw that's where I started to write in patchy sections interspersed with notes to myself on plot possibilities. :P

So, I have found my start zone: Chapter Nine. Today I reread through critical parts of Holly Lisle's Plot Clinic - darn it, but I need to buy the print version so I can thumb through it even when I'm off the comp! - and this afternoon I set about writing plot cards to repair and redirect my manuscript. I have a good thing going, I think, but I could make it so much hotter and coherent by changing the arc just a bit.

That's been my thing today, working with the plot cards. I'm sure tomorrow will be more of the same. At least I'm getting somewhere with it, and reading through the rough draft doesn't make me want to cry. *_*

That's it for me. I need to get off the net and spend some time with the family before bedtime.

Happy hump day, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Holly Lisle's book huh? I've a friend who swears by her stuff. Maybe I'll have to check it out. And I've got a few "OMGICBIGTFAQ" manuscripts too. But I have a feeling there's a reason why mine have been ditched. I'm hoping you can really make yours work - it sounds like you should though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, I'm telling ya, that Holly Lisle Plot Clinic ebook is worth every penny.

    I'm working with that OMGICBIGTFAQ wip and hope I can save it. If I can, I have another one after it I'll give the same treatment. LOL!!

    With this one, the mid section is what will need the most rewriting - and darn it if I don't hate middles worse than anything. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Holly's plot-card method, though I'm familiar and know other people who have. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^