Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Floppy Disks and Marinara Chicken

Portland Head Lighthouse


Two days til school starts. OMG, I am so ready. Let the school system take care of the teen heathen for the day. :P Yesterday we picked up uniforms, and all I have to do is write a check for Oldest's lunches and everything will be taken care of...for a start. He just informed me ten minutes ago he doesn't have pens, so I guess I better do a last minute supply check to be safe.

I'm baking marinara chicken while writing, and Mini is watching The Last Unicorn in the den. "Hurry, Mini! Watch the unicorn movie with me!" I promised him as soon as I finish this post I'll do just that, even though the end of that movie combined with PMS = sobbing, tissue-hoarding breakdown everytime I watch it.

I got my external floppy drive today. Woot! I've been meaning to get one for, oh, somewhere around six years now? I have a writing collection stored from back when we had our first computer - Windows 3.1, anyone? Yeah, that was back when computers were built like tanks. I swear it's true. We've had a number of desktops since then, and they've all gone belly up. But if you hook up a monitor to the 3.1, it still works right as rain. And yes, we did take that ancient beast onto the net. It has a lightning fast 14k bps speed modem. Hahahaha!

So I went on a mad disk check earlier in the day and only 1 of my old floppies wouldn't open. Everything scanned clean (how freaking amazing is that?!) and I've now converted all my old Microsoft Works files to Word. I'm happy I was able to save them. I plan to burn them all onto CD. None of it is salable as is, but I'd like to keep it. With that in mind, I'll say this...if anything can remind you how far you've come with your writing, look at something you wrote 14 years ago. It's an eye opener.

Today while picking up a few groceries, I picked up one of those 97 cent washable water color paint kits for Mini. He about drove me bonkers with it all through the store, and I came very close to putting it back, but in the end I brought it home for him to play with. The kid had a blast. He made some interesting water color art while I worked on my wip. Oh, and I showed him how to make fanned out tie-dye circles, fire cracker designs, and flying ravens with the awful paintbrush that came with it. It was messy, but fun.

That's about it for me today. Mini is going to have kittens if I don't hurry and join him in the den. Oh, darn, and there's the timer for the chicken. :P I better run. Happy hump day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. happy hump day to you too honey. :) *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.