Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Post That Was Meant For Friday

So I spent all day Friday in the Jeep and/or shopping with hubby and the kids. It wasn't too bad, I'm happy to say. I needed to go to Hobby Lobby and Office Depot, and in the process of all this, we also wanted to hit Books-A-Million, Barnhill's, Toys R Us, and the mall.

I knew it would be a long day, but I had no idea when I left the house I'd be on my feet for almost three hours straight at one point. So we took Oldest to Books-a-Million first. I planted some of my business cards in the erotic section, and omg the names I recognized on the books! Divas everywhere! I gotta tell you, that is one strange and really cool feeling to go into a bookstore and see so many names you recognize. I picked up quite a few diva books, ones by Candace Havens, Portia De Costa, Tawny Taylor, and Eden Bradley. I also picked up two books by people I'm not familiar with: Jess Michaels - a book called Something Reckless, and a non-erotica/romance by Stephen Cole called The Wereling. I think it might be a YA, but it's hard to tell.

Anyway, a huge score at BaM, and afterward we headed toward the mall. I didn't want to go in - Gymboree is having a huge sale and I know I'd get into some serious trouble there so... Hubby wanted to have a custom license plate made for his Jeep, and I convinced him to drop Mini and me off at Toys R Us.

Toys R Us is outside of the mall area. It's across the street, facing it. So, not too far away. You could walk to the mall from there if you were so inclined. Hubby dropped us off, and I turned around and there is Oldest. "No way I'm walking with dad through the mall." Yeah, well. Hubby isn't the most patient mall person, so I just nodded and told him to go browse.

Once in the store, Minibear and me went around looking through this big box of plastic trucks on sale and I got a call. It's hubby - he's placed the order for the plate and it should take no longer than 45 minutes. I told him we'd be fine, to just do his thing.

Now, I will say, at the back of my mind I knew it would take longer than 45 minutes, but I wasn't too worried about it. However, after an hour in the store, no place to sit, Mini was rightfully wanting out of the buggy - still no hubby. I called him, and he is in raving fits. They kept delaying getting started on it, and it would be another thirty minutes at the most. I figured I could keep Mini busy that long and said OK. Hubby wanted to come pick us up, but I didn't want to go to the mall - cripes, maybe I should've. At least there would have been benches!

So, hubby finally calls two hours after the initial drop off. Oldest, Mini and I have migrated to the shoe department and found one of those odd carpeted blocks for sitting to try on shoes. Hubby said he was on his way. And yes, I did detect a hint of unhappiness in his voice. Ok, he was pissed. They license plate people had basically did their own thing with the lettering and design, even though hubby asked them if the ones they were showing him as an example were WYSIWYG. Hm. Apparently they are not.

I got to the Jeep with the boys, and managed to get hubster in a bit better mood, and then risked shattering that all over again when I told him I still needed to go to Hobby Lobby and Office Depot. No problem. Hubby took us straight over there - it's on the exit we take to go home anyway, and the stores are side by side. I ended up buying crafty things at HL, then a new color print cartridge and cd labels at Office Depot. But I swear, by the time I got the hell out of there, my legs and feet were killing me!

This evening I set about making more promo bits - keychains and now I have give away disks with some of my free fiction on them. Sexy stuff. And the disks turned out great! I'll be giving some away this week at the Midnight Moon Cafe, and sending them out for RWA gift basket donations.

Speaking of RWA, I sooo want to go to tomorrow's chapter meeting in Bossier, but I can't get a sitter!! :S I'd be gone from 7 am to about 3 - hey, it's about 80ish miles oneway to Shreveport-Bossier from here. No one is willing to keep the kids that long. I still don't know what I'm going to do; if I'm going to just drop them off with the parents and be back when I get back. I haven't done that since... oh, about 1993? Anyway, I have about 6 horus to think about it. But at this point it's looking like I'll have to wait it out until next month. These folks are gonna think I'm never planning to show up! :S

Whatever happens tomorrow, I have to get the bills together and send them off, and after that I need to kick chapter 3 of my Bite story square in the ass. I want this story out of here no later than August first. I seriously need to break out my plot clinic pdf and channel some Holly Lisle. I swear, her stuff is like a print embodiment of a Drill Sergeant. Only you don't realize under the friendly tone that she is actually cracking a mega-whip over your head.

I better go for now. It's after 1 am and I'm gonna be dragging in the morning. Erm, well, it is morning - so make that dragging at daybreak. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. OH! Don't forget the HUGE 2nd anniversary blow out over at the Midnight Moon Cafe - a lot of goodies are being given away this week.

And if you have a spare moment, scroll down the blog and vote on my poll. I'm debating right now, and your vote matters!

Nite, nite!

2 comments:

  1. OMG that picture is just ... hilarious! And yet so creepy. Sounds like you had a busy busy day - and I'm jealous of your Books-a-Million. We're so limited in bookstores up here in Canada. Saw over on Marley's blog that you never did make it to your meeting - what a pity. Even if nothing interesting was going on, it's so neat to be able to meet up with other writers and commiserate - or celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That pic cracks me up. ^_^ As for B-a-M, we have to drive so far to get there, I have to make each trip count. I only go once every few months or so.

    And no, sadly I didn't make it to this months RWA meeting. I couldn't get a sitter. I kinda-sorta have one lined up for the August meeting though. So we'll see what happens. Hopefully Marley will be able to go too so we can chit-a-chat!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.