Saturday, June 07, 2008

Waiting for the Rain

Yellow Frangipani cluster after a morning shower


It's 5am and I can't sleep, so I thought I'd up and blog. Hubby's coming home today, and he usually spends his first day back with the boys. Not sure what I'll end up doing... probably veg out a bit and finish reading the Create A Plot Clinic book I downloaded recently from www.HollyLisle.com . I've only had time to make it about halfway through, and I've been itching to pick it up again.

While sorting through the bookshelf in my office yesterday, I also came across my old copy of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Browne and King). I sat down on the couch and spot read parts of it. This book really kicked off my "I'm gonna learn this and do it" phase of my writing life. I've read that book backwards and forwards, and while there is no ends to how much it helped me strengthen my writing, I think I could probably get more out of it now that I am published, than when I was pre-published. You pick up so much just by working with an editor on a book. You learn to spot things on your own. I'm still a comma junkie, and I've learned to live with that, but now whenever I read something - ebook, print book, even a newspaper - there are things that set off my internal editor.

Hm. Going off on a tangent here and thinking about that internal editor.... Funny how we can't seem to catch a lot of little things on our own work but after a while writing professionally you read something - heck just about anything - and you notice things like syntax problems and comma splices out the wazoo. Things that when you go back to your own work you don't notice until your crit partner points it out, you kinda do that head-smack thing and say, "D'oh! Why didn't I see that?"

Yep, that kinda reminds me of Merlin having that cool ability to see into the future - any future but his own. I'm my own destructive Merlin of manuscripts. *oogly boogly magic handwaving* ^_^

Anyway, I'm going to try rereading that book and see if there are things I pick up now that I didn't understand pre-published. If nothing else, maybe some of it will fire up my inspiration.

I better slip back to bed and try to get another hour's sleep before Mini gets up. Either that or brew a pot of coffee. Possibly both. :P I hope you all have an amazing weekend!

I can catch a glaring typo two pages into a manuscript (unless of course it's my own

4 comments:

  1. Cora, you're a wonderful editor. Don't doubt yourself. It's always harder to see problems in our own work than in others, mostly because we want to think the best of our babies, and not imagine they're seriously flawed. Or maybe we know they are but we're in denial. Depends. ;)

    Either way, have fun on your vacation. Swim, eat, read, get sunburned, do everything you can and want to with your family and love every second of it. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Is! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful flower!!! As for edits and all of that..yeah...I got nothin. All that I can say is that the stories I have read are well worth reading so that tells me that your doin something right;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like the self editing book might be good to take on that vacation.
    Have a great time!nphdfwe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.