Friday, June 20, 2008

Fun Stuff Friday

It's that day of the week again. FRY DAY as Mini says.



I turned on my computer first thing this morning and discovered AOL is decidedly trying to have me committed. All my favorites (bookmarks) were gone. I went through their lousy tech support pages looking for an answer and none of their manual restore options worked.



So, I set about re-adding the bare bones of my favorite places - things I need to be able to go where I go on a daily basis. I get the Midnight Moon Cafe and BAM! All my favorites are magically restored. Yeah, okay. Ha ha. Very effing funny AOL. I'll send you my psyche bill, kthnxbye.

Now for the good stuff... FREEBIES!

Firstly-first there is a ROCKIN' interview up with Lilith Saintcrow over at the Midnight Moon Cafe. OMG, I love her Dante Valentine series. Urban Fantasy at its finest. Don't miss this interview!

And secondy-second, Tor.com has new sparkly new desktop wallpaper for download, and this week, they're giving away a copy of Patti O'Shea's In The Midnight Hour in your choice of ebook formats. No catch, I promise! Just register and download. I've already got my copy of Ms. O'Shea's book downloaded to my desktop. Love me some pdf format. *evil handwringing*

News from the writing cave...

I actually sat down yesterday with note cards and wrote out scenes for one of my books. This to try and gather momentum. The story sort of falls flat midway through it, despite a really strong opening. I just can't seem to get the hero and heroine into the same room together for any length of time. If there was some way to plausibly lock them in a closet together so they'd HAVE to talk to each other, the story would probably pick up. So, I'm breaking out the Holly Lisle big guns - index cards.

I'm going to try to write one whole scene based on one of those index cards. The problem with my story is it needs more content. Plain and simple. I see it, I know what to do about it, it's just a matter of applying rump to chair and doing it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

That's about it for me today. I need to do a bit of writing and some budget balancing. :P It's errand day - again!

I hope you all have a snazzy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. Grr on the bookmarks - how annoying.

    And LOL about not being able to get your hero/heroine together. I've been having a similar problem - my H/H keep battling and instead of the make up sex that might make it all right, my heroine just up and told my hero to take a long walk off a short pier and walked out on him - permanently in her mind. Oops. That's not good. Have to try again tomorrow.

    Good to see you back, Cora - great pictures, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Cora. I got my book mailed off early in the week, and now I can't seem to get back in the swing. Yeah, Leah's characters came to mind when you said that.

    Maybe you should both really put them in the closet and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those index cards are like magic. I know they'll help. They're intense like that! :)

    I LOVE the kitty pic you used today, btw. Ha ha. I actually laughed out loud. So CUTE.

    And you know, Cora, worse comes to worse, lock them in a closet and hash it out and then see if their chemistry changes any. The scene can be a *deleted scene*. ;)

    Happy Friday, love! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I say this?

    Oh right... AOL bloooooowwws!

    I'm always getting jerked around. My favorite is when I am writing an email and AOL spontaneously decides to rearrange the text of my email into a mishmosh of jibberjab.

    So frustrating.

    That or it just decided to quit and loses the email altogether.

    Good times.

    I hope you're well.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, that sounds very familiar. I think our characters may be in contact and secretly plotting against us. :P I'm actually thinking of locking them in that closet for a time.

    Glad you like the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot! Congrats on getting the book out, Marley! :) *pom pom swish*

    Ah, you're having a case of the post submission flounder. I can never get right back into the groove after finishing a project either. I think maybe my brain goes on strike. I usually end up reading a book or two before I pull up the keyboard again.

    Allow yourself some down time, and maybe dip into your TBR stack. Any books you've been itching to read lately?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Isabelle, I think someone was secretly spying on me and then photographed it as an LOLcat. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenji, and here I was thinking AOL did it because they loved only me!

    I feel so betrayed... :P

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.