Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Tempting the muse

Humorous Pictures


Since I finished the Weirdly 2 edits, I'm in one of those spots where I really don't know what to do next. I have a tryst length story I could polish and submit, but I'm just not feeling that right now. I read through part of it and - bleh. It's not a bad story, I just can't seem to rally the brain cells necessary to do anything with it at the moment.

There is also the pitch story I should work on, although at this point I'm thinking it's going to be an R from that agent, because it's been two months give or take since I've heard anything from her. I have no doubt I can sell the story, but to do that, I've definitely got to finish it first and - bleh x 2. This is why I rarely, rarely dovetail stories. I put down writing on one and I completely lose momentum. I'm going to have to read this whole thing over again just to build up steam.

I'm itching to try my hand at a sexy urban fantasy, one more romance based. But gosh, I'm afraid if I start something fresh right now, I may get pulled from it and have to work on one of my older things and - BAM - I'm right back in the same situation with the pitch story. I'd have to pick it up after I've lost that flow.

So I'm stuck. I'm not sure which direction to go. Suggestions? Questions? Comments? What do the rest of you do to tempt the muse? I sat down and wrote my "fifteen minutes of fame" for the urban fantasy - that's where I sit for fifteen minutes and write everything that comes to mind for a new story idea then I stick it on the shelf and try to forget about it. It keeps me from taking on too many stories at once. After that, though, I'm at a loss. I've been reading lately, so it's not like I'm not getting that "refresher" in. I guess I could step away from everything and do a movie binge...

That's pretty much where I am right now. I started to write this morning and ended up contact papering the shelves in my bathroom linen closet. Yes. Really. *_* It hasn't been a bad day, just not terribly productive. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

3 comments:

  1. I hate those in between moments. It's so hard to figure out where to go or what to do because starting a new story is so tempting, but at the same time, I share your concerns. If I'm sidetracked for too long I completely lose focus and momentum. It's terrible.

    One thing that helps me is reading. When I read I get inspired and it helps clear my mind. Another thing that helps is musical playlists. If I've got a vague notion of a story I want to write but I'm not sure about jumping into it, I tend to create a music list that I play over and over again to put myself 'in the mood'. That helps me a lot because I'm a really musical person.

    I like your 'fifteen minutes of fame' idea, mostly because you just get it OUT there. I tend to obsess though, so once part of it is out on paper, it'd all have to come out .

    I probably didn't help you at all. Ha ha. *HUGS* I'm here if you need an ear to vent/throw ideas off of. That's about all I'm good for. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: Does hubby help you out with stories or plots? How about a really romantic night to get the imagination and juices flowing again. I know when I have trouble coming up with ideas on things, actually getting out there and doing what i'm thinking about always gives me new or fresh ideas.

    I don't think I can really help out in this seeing as how I don't write but I can tell you that since this new adventure with Matt my way of thinking has changed from how it was before. Either that or just step away from it for a weekend or even a few more days after.

    I wish I could help you;o) You've always seemed so quick witted and hilarious to me...what about a fun and sassy story? I have faith you'll get over this little bump in the road. Your a great writer Cora/ You can do it;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cora! I call these moments, mind-clutter. It's when I've just finished something and have a bunch of stuff I could be working on but just don't know where to go. And because of it, you pick one up and put it aside, then grab another and do the same. Uh, it's an annoying time.

    What I like to do if I get totally cluttered like this is grab a journal and just write about anything that's in my head. I find that sometimes just writing about all the things trapped in there, helps them to eventually leave you. :)

    Reading and movie watching is another good one. And going for a walk with some cool music in your ears is awesome. What about some random research over the internet?

    Well, I hope some of this helps, but the main thing is that you're still taking notes and keeping a record of your ideas. That's excellent.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.